Pinion slipping- any short-term fixes?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
helix_3

Pinion slipping- any short-term fixes?

Post by helix_3 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:21 pm

I was having trouble extruding plastic, so I cleaned out the nozzle. After re-assembling (1 hour down the drain), I found that the extruder's stepper motor was significantly weaker. I disassembled the gearbox and found that the stepper's shaft isn't properly attached to its gear, and is slipping when it meets any resistance.

I guess I'll need a replacement stepper; until that arrives, is there anything I can do to keep the gear fixed in place? I suppose superglue might work, but I want to check if there's any better options out there.

Levi8than

Re: Pinion slipping- any short-term fixes?

Post by Levi8than » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm

got a photo? Is this detachment inside the motor, or outside? The extruder gear connected outside the stepper motor can be replaced. I had to replace mine because it was loose and the set bolt was stripped: order one from karen@makergear. Or inside the motor, are there gears in there? Or is the shaft directly attached to the commutator? If that's the case, I'd go for epoxy and cross your fingers.

helix_3

Post by helix_3 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Levi8than wrote:got a photo? Is this detachment inside the motor, or outside? The extruder gear connected outside the stepper motor can be replaced. I had to replace mine because it was loose and the set bolt was stripped: order one from karen@makergear. Or inside the motor, are there gears in there? Or is the shaft directly attached to the commutator? If that's the case, I'd go for epoxy and cross your fingers.
It's the gear in the attached photo. http://imgur.com/qoZEXPD

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Is it twisting on the shaft? There is a small setscrew on the gear that screws onto the flat side of the shaft. Tighten that with the smallest allen wrench that came with the printer. Use Loctite (blue) to keep it from coming loose.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 pm

If that gear is slipping on the shaft then it needs replacement. Its a press fit and has no setscrew. It looks ok in the pic but be sure its not the teeth that are worn and skipping on the planetary gears. I have never heard of one slipping on the shaft so if thats the case just reppace it and dont worry about it. Super glue will do nothing for you my friend.

helix_3

Post by helix_3 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm

I ended up putting low-viscosity superglue on the seam, and letting it wick into the gap. The machine's running fine for now.