reassign stepper?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
greg c

reassign stepper?

Post by greg c » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:39 am

OK so I'm getting further along getting my used m2 setup. I've finally gotten it to heat up and jog x and y axis but z is dead. When I connect z to x or y it works and if i connect x or y to z output its dead for those too. I assume this means I have a bad board? In any case is there a way to reassign all z functions to E1 since I'm only using the E0 for the single extruder?

Thanks

jsc

Re: reassign stepper?

Post by jsc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 am

Electrically, I'm not entirely sure if all the MOSFET outputs are symmetrical so that any of them can stand in for any other. You'll have to check the schematic for that.

If so, you should just be able to take the pin assignments for all the E1 pins and use them for the Z pins in pins.h in the firmware under the board definition for "301" (RAMBO). I think you just leave the Z_MIN_PIN and Z_MAX_PIN alone (no Z max end stop on the M2). And probably the DIGIPOT_CHANNELS setting.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:03 am

You can absolutely do this, and it works just as jsc said. 8-) Post if you get lost in Marlin.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:06 pm

To clarify a bit:

(1) All the stepper drivers use the same chip, so they are all exactly the same and can be swapped as needed.

(2) The firmware file you are looking for is "pins.h". There is a block of pin definitions for each motherboard type; the one you want is "301", which is the designated number for the RAMBo. Look for the comment line "Rambo Pin Assignments". In the version I have, it's at line 1658.

(3) Here are the default assignments in my file:

Code: Select all

#define Z_STEP_PIN 35
#define Z_DIR_PIN 47
#define Z_MIN_PIN 10
#define Z_MAX_PIN 30
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN 27
#define Z_MS1_PIN 68
#define Z_MS2_PIN 67
and

#define E1_STEP_PIN         33
#define E1_DIR_PIN          42
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN       25
#define E1_MS1_PIN 63
#define E1_MS2_PIN 64
As Jin said, leave the MIN and MAX pins alone (since they correspond to the endstop switch, or one of them does, rather; at any rate, they have nothing to do with the stepper motor driver, and your endstop switch is presumably working and is not the issue here). Just swap the values for STEP_PIN, DIR_PIN, ENABLE_PIN, MS1_PIN, and MS2_PIN, plug your Z motor into the E1 socket on the RAMBo, rebuild and flash your firmware, and you should be good to go!

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:12 pm

And DIGIPOT_CHANNELS. That sounds important and you'll probably want to swap the order of those values.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Hmm. Okay, I guess that means that immediately below the pin definitions in the "pins.h" file,

#define DIGIPOT_CHANNELS {4,5,3,0,1} // X Y Z E0 E1
becomes

#define DIGIPOT_CHANNELS {4,5,1,0,3} // X Y Z E0 E1