Printing Without Raft

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
mrc93

Printing Without Raft

Post by mrc93 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:32 pm

I am hoping you guys can help me.

I have been printing on my M2 using Simplify3D for a while now, but I have always used a raft and supports, after lifting my model up 1mm. I wanted to to try printing directly onto the heated bed without a raft and it will not print.

My hot end is not jammed, if I click add raft there is no problem with laying down the first level, but without raft no plastic is put onto the bed and just wraps around the hot end. I just printed the bracelet sample part directly from gcode that MakerGear has on the wiki and that printed fine as well.

Is there something I need to change in Simplify3D or something else I am doing wrong?

Thank you

insta

Re: Printing Without Raft

Post by insta » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:20 pm

ABS or PLA?

The filament coming out and not sticking to the bed tells me you're slightly too high off the bed. The raft would fix that because it extrudes additional plastic which is apparently enough to close the gap.

With the hotend and bed at temp, you should have an ever so slight drag on your nozzle against a sheet of paper laid against the bed. If it moves freely, adjust the Z screw and re-home Z. Repeat this process until the paper just drags but you can still push it under the nozzle without buckling.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

mrc93

Post by mrc93 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am building with PLA.

So far I have leveled the bed, I have moved it up once printing has started using the z-axis a couple of times. I have also changed the gcode z-axis offset a little. I think it is something in Simplify3D as printing straight gcode, the bracelet, from http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-sample-prints works fine.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Zip up an fff or factory file and post it

mrc93

Post by mrc93 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:22 pm

I have attached the file I am currently testing.
Thanks
Attachments
EXT2.zip
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:28 am

One cause of why the stock gcode might work while yours doesn't is that you are printing at 0.1mm layer heights. That requires a good deal more precision in getting the first layer height set correctly. I agree that your bed zero is probably too far away. A quick fix would be to try setting First Layer Height to 50%. (Surprisingly, that doesn't set the physical first layer height to 50%, but keeps the height at 100% while extruding at 200%). A better fix would be to bring your bed up just a touch, and maybe try glue stick.

mrc93

Post by mrc93 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:26 pm

So I re-leveled the bed twice so that the nozzle was dragging on the sticky note at each corner.
Then I tried printing with the First Layer Height at 90% and 50%. It appears as if the extruder is not putting out enough filament.

Is it just not feasible to be printing directly on the bed with .1mm resolution?

Thanks

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:39 pm

No, I do it all the time.

The glass isn't perfectly flat, so just testing the corners isn't sufficient. Test the center, too , which may be domed up or down.

mrc93

Post by mrc93 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you. I think that is it. I just started printing a small cube basically on the edge and it is working.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:05 pm

watch this video. its for hyrel printers but it gives a great explanation and video segment on z height and what the filament looks like when your too far, too close and just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg9omXlYR-Q