help through my first ABS print . POWDERED TOAST MAN!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
metrons

help through my first ABS print . POWDERED TOAST MAN!

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:26 am

printing is in progress, i'm going to post pictures during the print. hope i can get help from the gang here as it prints and help me with bugs anyone sees with abs has been a real pain. my first big attempt with it .

here is what i'm printing. (i hope)

...this is awesome fun 3d printing. . . when it works

simplfy3d
.15mm res.
ABS 245c
print bed 100c
10% INFILL
Last edited by metrons on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

metrons

Re: help through my first ABS print . POWDERED TOAST MAN!

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:29 am

updates to come. . .

simplyf 3d update.

metrons

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:08 am

the support raft being made it looks like. still new to all this, i'm learnin.

...5% done... not looking to bad so far i think...the raft printed correct enough compared to what it shows in S3d. the base of the character is looking errorless so far. now i hold my breath for the next 10 hours.

metrons

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:23 am

these little globules started forming together. things atm are looking weird. dont know whats happening. i tried to quickly clip these thick messy strands off real quick.

its 1 am and i need to get to bed. i'm hoping when i wake up it isn't a total trainwreck. post updates in the morning.

cheers!

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:44 pm

It's a big thing to be printing in ABS. Toast man is going to need to stay toasty for the duration of the print. The big base should help with any warping issues, though.

The biggest problems I might anticipate come from the quality of the support. . . S3D's support is not always very accurate under and over complicated geometry (although in fairness I should also point out that S3D's support structures are still superior to those I've seen generated by other tools). I would recommend being very careful to check all the support structures for unfortunate properties like hanging in mid-air. The size of the supports sometimes needs to be reduced to get around this problem. Unfortunately, the size of supports is a global parameter, so you can end up wasting a large amount of plastic on support structures just to resolve an issue in one small spot. Which is not to say that your print even has any of these problems. And even if it does, I have seen prints recover more or less gracefully from attempting to start a support structure in midair.

At this point, though, I'll wait to see your next-morning result. . .

metrons

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:58 pm

well...i wish i could say i was surprised...but wow, what a nightmare.
what...is...happening? we dont have ghosts at our place, what the hell.

looking for all the help i can get. i'm almost starting to think "screw abs"

UGH...

metrons

Post by metrons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:54 pm

cleaned up the print. several issues.

really hoping i can get some help. i'm dying to print this guy and its been about a week of trying stuff out and it never works out.

EDIT:
i found out bottom leveling screw fell out during the print?! i found a spring on the ground with a screw, i'm sure that had something to do with crap going everywhere?

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:47 pm

First off, I would point out that the base is probably not flat because there were all sorts of support structures on it. Maybe it could be better, but the support structures have to rest on something, and they will mess up the surface to some extent.

Again, please post a picture of the whole thing in S3D; it helps to show what S3D is doing with the support structures.

Many of us are hoping that petg is the "screw ABS" solution. A number of us who frequent the forum have put in an order with Intservo for eSUN petg filament; it should arrive in a week or so (maybe), and we'll let you know how it goes by posting our experience with petg on this forum. PET+ was something of a wash; better than ABS in someways, worse than others. PET looks like the most promising alternative to ABS, but it may take some recipe tweaks before it's a truly viable alternative. Can't say yet if "petg" is that perfect tweak or not.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 pm

You're probably going to need to enable supports for some of those massive overhangs. Post your entire factory file that you're using, unless you don't want to release your model.

As Tim said, if your base is not completely flush, you will have problems. If screws/springs are falling out, you will have problems. If you're printing in ABS, you are likely to have problems.... That's not entirely true, I've successfully printed many large ABS objects, but the success rate is model dependent to some extent. Why not use PLA? The success rate is higher.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 pm

yes an fff or factory file will be needed so we can see your settings. the bed screws should be tightened all the way down to fully compress the spring then level the bed from there. you want the springs as compressed as possible. what happened there is your screw fell out and the nozzle knocked over one or more of the support structures then it was just extruding noodles all over the place. once one structure goes, its all downhill from there. as stated, abs is model specific. i have printed very large pieces in abs without any warp and i have printed other smaller items that end up with tons of warp. very boxy items with corners and straight vertical walls are difficult. your print i would not hesitate to try in abs but on the other hand for what it is i dont see a reason for it to be in abs either.