Does etching the glass of a HBP help with adhesion?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
helix_3

Does etching the glass of a HBP help with adhesion?

Post by helix_3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 am

Cold weather is causing a lot of curling with PLA. Would taking a power sander to my glass build plate help with this at all?

Tim

Re: Does etching the glass of a HBP help with adhesion?

Post by Tim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Can't hurt to try. You'll have one side etched and one side smooth; you can always go back to the smooth side if the etched side isn't working.

I've heard of sandblasting borosilicate glass; will a power sander really work? Etching with hydrofluoric acid works, but you'd probably want to be a professional before messing with that stuff, plus have access to a laboratory-grade enclosed fume hood, etc., etc. I know that the usual "glass etching kits" you get at hobby stores won't work on borosilicate. I'd suggest getting a spare glass plate before you start abusing it.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:29 pm

helix_3 wrote:Cold weather is causing a lot of curling with PLA. Would taking a power sander to my glass build plate help with this at all?
What build surface preparation are you using?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

helix_3

Post by helix_3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm

insta wrote:
helix_3 wrote:Cold weather is causing a lot of curling with PLA. Would taking a power sander to my glass build plate help with this at all?
What build surface preparation are you using?
Single coat of unscented Extra Super Hold Aqua Net. It used to work great, but now that I'm printing with higher infill and a colder environment, I'm having troubles.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 am

for a stronger hold get garnier frictis #5. green spray can with a black cap. it has easily double the bond that the aquanet has.

helix_3

Post by helix_3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 am

jimc wrote:for a stronger hold get garnier frictis #5. green spray can with a black cap. it has easily double the bond that the aquanet has.
Def. going to try that out. Purple glue stick (Scotch brand Mega Glue Stick) is working pretty well right now, but I'd prefer to have the convenience of an aerosol spray.

Do you think the strength of the bonds could be stacked by applying purple glue stick, then spraying it with hair spray?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:51 am

no. you will be printing on what you last applied.