misaligned layers

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
zucco

misaligned layers

Post by zucco » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:37 am

green.jpg
Hello Tim,
Thanks for the good advise.
I did change the slicer configuration. I turned on under the quality option start perimeters at: Concave points and Non-overhang point.
The new green print is much better. Thanks
green.jpg (322.68 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
z-in.jpg
in side, the print looks great.
z-in.jpg (144.05 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
z-top.jpg
top rim, looks good too.
z-top.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
Attachments
z-out.jpg
Not so good.
Dose any one know why this happened? The inside and top printed fine, but the outside of the object printed misaligned layers ?
I've only had my machine for 3 week, I don't have a lot of experience printing. I noticed the start and end position of the extruder was on the out side wall where it is messed up.
Thank you
z-out.jpg (155.24 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
Last edited by zucco on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Re: misaligned layers

Post by Tim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:06 am

That is admittedly odd to be so well formed on the inside and so badly formed on the outside. My best guess is that because there are so many holes in the piece, it's doing a lot of starting and stopping. It is drawing each layer in many separate rectangles around the circle, starting and stopping each time on the outside side of the cup, and then the first line after starting a new segment is also on the outside, and is either over-extruding or under-extruding, not sure which; either one can make a mess of an otherwise straight line. By the time it gets around to the other side, on the inside surface of the cup, it's flowing well and looking much better.

If you have your slicer configuration set to draw outside perimeters first, then you would want to change it to print inside perimeters first. That helps keep problem areas on the inside layers and not on the surface (where in this case "outside" means anything on the surface

For any more enlightenment, we'll need to see the slicer configuration file, if you can post it. Possibly retraction settings are at fault, maybe acceleration, but it's hard to say. I wouldn't call it "misaligned", as all the layers appear to be in more or less the right place, just very messy.