First Layer

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KeithA

First Layer

Post by KeithA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 am

I have been busy lately and haven't had much time to use my M2. My son wanted a couple things printed so I printed them for him and noticed a couple of things weren't quite a nice as they were previously. I noticed that the surface of what is being printed isnt as smooth and uniform as it was. This is easiest to see on the first layer. A portion of the layer looks like it should but other parts look a little "lumpy" or "Fuzzy". There is also more of a ridge on the bottom of the print where it contacted the bed. The settings I am using are the same as before. I checked the bed for level and height. I seemed very close to a uniform .008 away from the nozzle, right where I had it before. What are the symptoms of a nozzle that is getting dirty inside? Also I left the roll of filament out on the printer leaving it susceptible to any moisture in the air. What are the symptom that I would see from that? Overall the prints aren't terrible just not quite as good as before.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Tim

Re: First Layer

Post by Tim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:19 am

Moisture is one good possibility, depending on how humid it is where you are. My basement never gets much above 30% and I have never experienced the problems others claim to be due to moisture. Supposedly bubbling or popping around the nozzle as water vaporizes is another symptom (one I've never experienced).

But. . . did you clean the glass before you started? Dust is another common culprit. . . dust on the bed, but also dust on the filament.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:49 am

It inst very humid where it is located so that probably inst the issue. I did clean the bed and dint otherwise have any adhesion issues. I tried printing another item and noticed that the defect seems to be in the same general area of the object being printing based a clock it would be the 7. The models were of similar size so maybe there is something on the bed in that area. I will take a closer look but am fairly certain it is clean.

Thanks

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:15 am

Take a picture of what you mean, it is hard to describe printing problems sometimes in words that gets the point across.

In my experience, getting ridges in the first layer, especially where it happens on one side of the print but not the other, is generally an indication that the bed height/level is off, but you say you checked that. One quick test is to give the Z knob a turn while the first layer is going down to move the bed closer or farther from the nozzle. It will "click" through the stepper motor. Clockwise is closer. If that has any effect on your issues, then double check the level. You can do this very easily by eye by bringing the glass up close to the nozzle and holding it there with a hand on the knob while eyeing the gap between the nozzle and its reflection while you move the bed/extruder back and forth.