Extruder Temp unstable

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
goldenwolf

Extruder Temp unstable

Post by goldenwolf » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Folks,

My M2 was working great, but recently the Extruder temp started bouncing, and it will not print, it just burns pla. The temp will start to go up, and then plummet, or skyrocket to over 270 celsius.

Any ideas? is the temp on the extruder not reading right? do I need a new extruder or temp gauge? is the master control for extruder temp jacked up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ednisley

Re: Extruder Temp unstable

Post by ednisley » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm

goldenwolf wrote:recently the Extruder temp started bouncing
The most likely cause is a loose / intermittent / broken connection between the extruder thermistor and the RAMBo board.

Set the temperature to something moderate, then poke / wiggle all the wires & connectors, starting at the extruder and continuing inside the woven looms, until you reach the terminals on the board inside the electronics case. Eventually, you'll find the spot that, when poked, changes the temperature to something absurd and back again: that's the break.

Most likely, the problem will be near the loom where the wires flex on every Y movement...

goldenwolf

Re: Extruder Temp unstable

Post by goldenwolf » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Ed,

Thanks for that.

I swapped out the extruder and it seems fine, so I will disassemble that and play with the wires when it cools down.

Thank You.