slow step by step print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
gre88

slow step by step print

Post by gre88 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello everyone,
I have my M2 for a year and now for the first time I had this problem.
After half hour of work, my print job beginning crashed every 5-10 seconds with pause of 1-2 seconds then more and more frequently until to stop permanently after 5 minutes like was a lag in communication. I restarted both printer and PC restarts printing but after an hour of work I had the same problem. The pc running the printer manager program only with no other active programs.
Someone has already happened?
Who can help me? please
Thanks to all
Cris

insta

Re: slow step by step print

Post by insta » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Does this happen if you are printing from the SD card?

Does this happen at the same point in the print? Is there any defining feature at that point in the print, if so?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:39 am

If you are printing via USB, it would be VERY interesting to look at system resources (memory, CPU) to see if there's a memory leak (or worse). And, if printing via USB, could you try preparing print to SD card (plugged into your PC is fastest) --- use an 8x3 filename in uppercase to avoid issues with Long Filename support, e.g.: "OBJECT.G". Then put the SD card in the M2 and start the print from there.

Note: having the PC go to sleep or power down, or doing a clean disconnect of USB, during an SD card print can cause the M2 (depending on recent-ness of firmware) to reset, aborting the print. Once you start the SD card print, yank the USB cable between the PC and M2 --- the M2 will keep on printing. Should finish fine from there.

If that works OK and printing over USB from the PC dies after a while, I'd suspect a driver issue or something else that is consuming, and not releasing, PC resources...

Dale

gre88

Post by gre88 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:18 pm

insta wrote:Does this happen if you are printing from the SD card?
Thank you insta, I had no try with SD card because I had remove the lcd panel for a problem.
insta wrote:Does this happen at the same point in the print? Is there any defining feature at that point in the print, if so?
I have not figured out what's wrong, the piece is very simple. The printer has stopped the first time after half hour of work and the second after 1 hour, then at two different points and I can't find a similarity between the two.

gre88

Post by gre88 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Dale Reed wrote:If you are printing via USB, it would be VERY interesting to look at system resources (memory, CPU) to see if there's a memory leak (or worse).
I print via USB but I had check al the PC resource (CPU, RAM, disk, ecc) and they seem unoccupied.
Dale Reed wrote:And, if printing via USB, could you try preparing print to SD card (plugged into your PC is fastest) --- use an 8x3 filename in uppercase to avoid issues with Long Filename support, e.g.: "OBJECT.G". Then put the SD card in the M2 and start the print from there.

Note: having the PC go to sleep or power down, or doing a clean disconnect of USB, during an SD card print can cause the M2 (depending on recent-ness of firmware) to reset, aborting the print. Once you start the SD card print, yank the USB cable between the PC and M2 --- the M2 will keep on printing. Should finish fine from there.
Tonight I try to connect the LCD and print from SD card and then I keep you inform.

Thank you very much
Gre

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm

As insta and Dale said, first thing to check if it's the USB connection is an SD print. How does it fail, though? Does the print just pause permanently, or do the motors release and the bed drop? If the later, that can happen when pressure is exerted against the bed. I haven't seen it happen during a print, but it has happened when I tried to run a print with one already on the bed which contacted the gantry. I've also seen it happen to a friend's M2 during a startup sequence. The issue in his case was that he had never lubricated it, ever.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 am

That last one sounds like too much current draw, resulting in a sag of power supply voltage, resulting in an LVD (low voltage detect) interrupt/reset of the micro. I'd start checking for loose connections, everywhere, but especially at the 6-pin power connector at the back of the RAMBo.

Dale