Extruder keeps slipping

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
b8smat

Re: Extruder keeps slipping

Post by b8smat » Sun May 11, 2014 12:41 pm

JohnnyRobot wrote:This one. Anyone know what the actual technical name for it is? Also, make sure you're not missing the nut on the other side
Yes, I checked various tensions on that screw and it didn't make much difference unless it's completely loose. I even replaced the nut with a locking nut from the spares that came with the printer but that didn't help either.

I'm starting to suspect that maybe it's something to do with the flow rate. I have it set to 100%in Cura. Maybe it should be tweaked.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 11, 2014 2:53 pm

What speed are you printing at?

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 pm

If you're printing Makergear PLA at 230 that's too high. I print at 215. At 225 I have problems, though not like you describe. But it could be a factor.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sun May 11, 2014 4:11 pm

that is the tensioning screw and it should be loose for pla (at least 1mm gap). 215c to 225c should be fine. which makergear pla are you using?

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sun May 11, 2014 5:26 pm

oh...a lock nut may crack the part when you try to tighten it. lock nut is not needed on the tensioner.

b8smat

Post by b8smat » Sun May 11, 2014 7:09 pm

rpollack wrote:oh...a lock nut may crack the part when you try to tighten it. lock nut is not needed on the tensioner.
Why would it crack it? It seems to be a lose fit in the hole.

b8smat

Post by b8smat » Sun May 11, 2014 7:12 pm

rpollack wrote:that is the tensioning screw and it should be loose for pla (at least 1mm gap). 215c to 225c should be fine. which makergear pla are you using?
I'm using MakerGear natural filament at 220. I think I might have fixed it. I set the Cura flow rate to 90% and so far the print is working fine with no slippage.

Is it possible the extruder gets slightly clogged over time and can't handle the full flow rate?

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 12, 2014 12:12 am

Most definitely. The more you change out plastics and or leave the hot end turned on without printing and it just stis there cooking then that will slowly get the hot end tighter and tighter. An occasional cleaning will be required. Look at my recent thread of hot end cleaning tools

slamma

Post by slamma » Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 am

My MakerGear M2 is experiencing this exact same issue. I've had my M2 for over a year now and have kept it very well maintained and have run many spools of PLA and ABS through it. But at this point, my M2 is basically parked until I get to the bottom of this problem.

This issue didn't crop up for the first 8 months or so. Then finally, one day it started to very infrequently slip like it does in b8smat's video. As time went on, it got worse and worse.

At least in my experience, this is not caused by any of the usual suspects. I've done some pretty extensive debugging to try and resolve this problem.

When it first started happening I purchased a new hot-end, reprinted the filament drive and stepper mount . However it continued. I eventually purchased a whole new heater block, hot end, nozzles, and the filament drive part just as shown on the MakerGear's extruder page. Even after replacing all of this, the problem persists.

I went on to substitute a 0.5mm nozzle instead of the 0.35mm nozzle for the same gcode as a test to presumably lower the amount of force it would need to drive the filament. This did not appear to affect the problem or even the rate at which the extruder stepper was slipping.

I also boosted the current to the extruder stepper and this, albeit surprisingly, also did not make any difference.

My impression is that it can literally only be the stepper itself, the planetary gear reduction on the extruder stepper, or something wrong with the rambo controller board. I've replaced an/or swapped out everything else involved with no impact to the problem.

I was really disappointed after joining the makergear irc channel a few months back and them telling me no one else has had this problem and not able to offer me any useful help or information.

It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Hopefully we'll be able to get resolution finally. I have a suspicion that this is a progressive problem and more people will experience this with their M2 printers as time goes on. I also have a feeling that as b8smat continues to print with his printer, he'll realize his problem isn't solved.

Thanks guys!

macsboost

Post by macsboost » Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 am

slamma wrote:My MakerGear M2 is experiencing this exact same issue. I've had my M2 for over a year now and have kept it very well maintained and have run many spools of PLA and ABS through it. But at this point, my M2 is basically parked until I get to the bottom of this problem.

This issue didn't crop up for the first 8 months or so. Then finally, one day it started to very infrequently slip like it does in b8smat's video. As time went on, it got worse and worse.

At least in my experience, this is not caused by any of the usual suspects. I've done some pretty extensive debugging to try and resolve this problem.

When it first started happening I purchased a new hot-end, reprinted the filament drive and stepper mount . However it continued. I eventually purchased a whole new heater block, hot end, nozzles, and the filament drive part just as shown on the MakerGear's extruder page. Even after replacing all of this, the problem persists.

I went on to substitute a 0.5mm nozzle instead of the 0.35mm nozzle for the same gcode as a test to presumably lower the amount of force it would need to drive the filament. This did not appear to affect the problem or even the rate at which the extruder stepper was slipping.

I also boosted the current to the extruder stepper and this, albeit surprisingly, also did not make any difference.

My impression is that it can literally only be the stepper itself, the planetary gear reduction on the extruder stepper, or something wrong with the rambo controller board. I've replaced an/or swapped out everything else involved with no impact to the problem.

I was really disappointed after joining the makergear irc channel a few months back and them telling me no one else has had this problem and not able to offer me any useful help or information.

It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Hopefully we'll be able to get resolution finally. I have a suspicion that this is a progressive problem and more people will experience this with their M2 printers as time goes on. I also have a feeling that as b8smat continues to print with his printer, he'll realize his problem isn't solved.

Thanks guys!
This describes my issue too.... I tried upgrading to 24v with a new hotend.. still no good. It sounds exactly the same as in the video.
Last edited by macsboost on Mon May 12, 2014 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.