.75 MM Nozzle Help ( experimental )

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Dale Reed

Re: .75 MM Nozzle Help ( experimental )

Post by Dale Reed » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:20 pm

kentd,

One thing that Ed didn't say explicitly (but it's kind of implied there, I think) is that it helps big-time if the wall thickness is an integer multiple of the extrusion width. If you're making a wall that is 2.0 mm thick, and the extrusion width is 0.85 mm, then two perimeters will be 1.70 mm thick, and there's another 0.3 mm that can't be filled in. If you're using an 0.35 mm nozzle and you set the extrusion width to 0.4 mm, you can make the 2.0 mm thick wall with exactly 5 lines of filament with no gaps. (In this latter case, you could also have a single inner and a single outer perimeter with wavy infill --- I just came up with 2.0 thick case as an illustration...)

So I don't know If you have access to the original design to tweak things like wall thicknesses...

But, in essence, this is an important part of designing a part specifically for 3D printing.

HTH,
Dale

kentd

Post by kentd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Wow..... you learn something new everyday!!! ( I just assumed that 1.75mm filament meant 1.75.... but sure enough it wasn't.... mine was 1.60 )
When I made that change it made a huge differance.

I played around with the .75mm nozzle a bit more and discovered that the printouts were not a detailed as the narrower nozzle.... so I switched to a differant physical nozzle ( .50mm ) and made the various changes based on all of your suggestions on this post and the parts are coming out great.... plus a bit quicker because of the larger nozzle.

Thanks again EVERYONE for all your help..... I have learned a Ton from you guys!

Kent

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 pm

kentd wrote:assumed that 1.75mm filament meant 1.75.... but sure enough it wasn't.... mine was 1.60
Verily: hell hath no fury like that of an unjustified assumption.

That diameter seems remarkably too small for good-quality filament; I'd say whoever you bought that from has some 'splaining to do. Although they undoubtedly claim the spool contains 1 kg, I bet they actually dispense by length and shorted you by 15%.

As long as the filament has a consistent diameter, you just plug that value into the slicer and away you go. However, if it's 1.60 mm in one section and 1.90 mm in another, then the extruder will deposit 40% more plastic during the thick sections (because it doesn't know any better) and the print quality will go downhill very quickly.

Keep an eye on that!
kentd wrote:printouts were not a detailed as the narrower nozzle
Yup, you get worse XY resolution for free with a bigger nozzle. The smallest "peninsula" will be at least twice the nozzle diameter, so you can expect 1.5 mm "thin walls" and features. Unfortunately, the only resolution you'll find mentioned with any 3D printer lies along the Z axis, where folks crow about "better than 0.050 mm resolution". I think that's like assembling a Jabba the Hutt statue from onionskin paper, as opposed to pizza box cardboard...

kentd

Post by kentd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:34 pm

This part was printed using the .50mm nozzle
Material used was PLA
20150113_162633.jpg
(530.82 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:17 am

kentd,

Nice top layer! Which slicer did you use? I think more than one of us had struggled to get a top layer that smooth with S3D....

Dale

kentd

Post by kentd » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:36 am

I am using S3D.

Here are the settings that I used:
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 6597 times