New M2 won't connect

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
cosmic1953

New M2 won't connect

Post by cosmic1953 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi All,

I have a new M2... one week old today. It worked pretty well for 5 days, and then started having comm problems. Now the M2 won't connect to Simplfy3D.

In fact, Device Manager (WIN7) says that the device has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. I tried all the usual tricks... rebooting RAMBo, rebooting my laptop, replacing the USB cable, trying a different USB port, and finally, running a different device from the USB port successfully. All indications are that the RAMBo has failed...(?)

Windows refuses to detect the device, although Windows DOES beep when I plug and unplug the USB cable, which is odd... never seen that before... even if the RAMBo is not powered.

When the M2 power supply is turned on, the LEDs on the RAMBo light up as normal. The RAMBo fan runs.

Ideas?

Thanks,
David

nokianich

Re: New M2 won't connect

Post by nokianich » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

try to delete that device and install it again (try different USB port), you might need to install driver again when windows ask to do so.

cosmic1953

Re: New M2 won't connect

Post by cosmic1953 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, nokianich... already tried that a number of times and a number of different ways. But....

I have been playing with different combinations of computers, locations, cables this morning:

Turns out that the M2 will connect in one location with any computer, but won't connect with any computer in the preferred location. Further investigation of the 120VAC outlet power quality shows a bad ground. Running a power cable to the printer in the preferred location (from a different outlet) solved the problem.

Conclusion: the M2 comms are sensitive to the 120VAC ground quality.