printing bite plate

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
pmthomas

printing bite plate

Post by pmthomas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm

I need some suggestions regarding getting this to print. I've tried PLA and ABS. PLA was most successful. ABS has been a problem. this is a "bite plate" that is used in dental procedures so both sides have to have good resolution and not a bunch of support and raft debris. Is there a way to print these without having to clean at least one side by Dremel tool or similar?
top.jpg
top surface of bite plate with tooth indentations
top.jpg (259.5 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
bottom.jpg
bottom with same
bottom.jpg (384.64 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
Many Thanks for any suggestions

ednisley

Re: printing bite plate

Post by ednisley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:31 pm

pmthomas wrote:a way to print these without having to clean at least one side
Split the model in half horizontally, add alignment pin holes, print both halves with their tooth side facing upward, put pins in holes, apply glue, and clamp until they're one solid object.

http://softsolder.com/2013/11/12/improv ... 3d-prints/

That's done with an OpenSCAD model, but you could probably automate the process by importing the STL file, splitting it, putting pin holes in standard locations, and exporting two processed STL files.

That assumes the lowest points on each side don't quite reach the middle. If they do, then those points would produce depressions on the platform side of the other half and might require manual cleanup.

Ought to get you closer to the goal, anyhow...

pmthomas

Post by pmthomas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks, Ed.....the separation of the depressions is fractions of a mm. The initial file is created with our virtual surgery software and the guide has to be kept thin. Splitting would be a challenge but an interesting exercise. Max thickness is probably 5mm. I know this can be done as service houses print them commercially. Just not sure it can be done with the MakerGear and the material I have on hand.

benavery

Post by benavery » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 pm

You can attempt separate prints, skipping the alignment holes part, very easily in S3D. Adjust the model down into/under the bed by about half the thickness, in s3d before slicing (You can do this by exact amounts using the dialog). It won't print the bits under the bed. You will get a perfectly flat base.
Then duplicate the part, flip it over, and drop that part down by half also. (If the ideal cut point isn't half way, then drop one half my (N)mm and the other by (totalThickness - N)mm)

Alignment holes are ideal if you were already modeling the part up, but not absolutely required if you are careful when gluing up.

pmthomas

Post by pmthomas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 pm

That makes sense as I know that S3D has very fine alignment settings. The new code in our commerical software allows placement of pin holes which could be used for alignment so that might help. I'm on the steep part of the learning curve as I just fired-up my M2 yesterday and made the first prints. I still shake my head at the amazing technology. This is a trial to see if printers in the $1K to $3K range can produce the necessary. Currently it's a $800 charge from a service house. We're interested in cost containment and returning control to the individual doctor.

I wasn't sure what would happen if you dropped the model below the platform. Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping the hardware/software was smart enough to avoid extruder and bed collisions. ;) I'll play with this some and see what happens. Our latest code is in progress so I need to wait for a patch.
Cheers!
Paul T

lem

Post by lem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Not quite to the point of this thread, however, if your print idea doesn't work out here is a place to avoid the $800 crowd.

http://www.proteethguard.com/custom-nig ... -grinding/

I have used this service and recommend it. Price varies - $140 to $190 depending on selection.

Larry

pmthomas

Post by pmthomas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks, Larry....but totally different application. This is a template to guide reconstructive jaw surgery.

Paul T

lem

Post by lem » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 am

Hum. My bad. Sorry.

Seems like everything in the dental profession that involves tooth impressions is $800 at the dentist's office.

That's what threw me off.