Help with odd print quality error

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
JCWilliams

Help with odd print quality error

Post by JCWilliams » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 am

I have been experiencing a problem lately with my MakerGear M2 and the quality of prints. I am the primary user of this machine I do have one other user that I have to clean up after. I have reset the all settings back to default and I still experience this problem. It does not happen on every print but the bottom of the print does this:
HB error.jpg
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 208 times
Any Ideas on why this might be occurring? Thanks for any Ideas.

Sorry for the large image I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller.

Dale Reed

Re: Help with odd print quality error

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:38 am

JCW,

I'm assuming you're new to 3D printing. If not, I apologize if I'm telling you stuff you already know. (If you are, welcome to the fun! You'll learn a lot.)

What type of material are you printing? What bed temperature, nozzle temperature, and, especially, what kind of bed preparation? The corners try very hard to peel up as the plastic shrinks on cooling --- in your case, they are succeeding :-(

If you have a new M2 and have been printing on bare glass with PLA, many of us have found that over time, parts tend to not stick as well. Gotta make sure the glass is totally clean (isopropyl or acetone, wiped dry -- not left to dry -- so that any gunk goes with the solvent). Many of us use hair spray (I use Aqua Net Extra Super Hold in the purple spray can --- use anything that has lots of polymer-y-sounding ingredients in the list!), others swear by Elmer's Glue Stick (apply cold, then heat the bed, IIRC).

Are you printing with a brim (several runs of plastic outside the perimeter of the object) to help hold it down? Here's a photo of a part with a brim:
TortureTestNoSupport.png
TortureTestNoSupport.png (926.09 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
See the arch? There's NO WAY the near end of the arch would stay stuck down on the bed and not get knocked over without the brim. The brim really helps keep those corners down. It's only one layer thick, so it cuts right off with a wallpaper knife or XActo blade.

Parts with sharp corners tend to peel up more so than parts with rounded corners, or round parts. If your part can tolerate rounded corners, that will help. Some people also add "mouse ears" (round extensions) at the corners to help with adhesion, then cut them off after the print cools.

Let us know more about the model, process, and bed prep and we'll be able to offer more specific suggestions.

Hope this helps. Others here can chime in with pictures of parts with mouse ears, etc.