printer overheating/freezing up stops working

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
thecadman99

Re: printer overheating/freezing up stops working

Post by thecadman99 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 pm

Do you usually retract all the old filament out before you change filaments?
Sometimes a blob of filament will hang in the drive, just below the gear.

I've had to remove the fans, and remove the filament drive, then heat up the hotend (I set it back on the gear to prevent it from dangling by the wires) and, using small pliers, twist the hotend out of the filament drive.
It usually takes some patience, but filament will eventually get warm enough to let you remove the hotend while the filament stretches.

Then you can use the small "filament sized" allen key that came with your printer to clear out the hotend, and use the same wrench to clen out the filament drive.

bringjustn

Post by bringjustn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 pm

it seems that it was miss aligned and is back up and printing great. thanks for the help. though both of my fans have stopped but it is still printing and i need the parts running about 30 min ago.

i do extract the filament all the way out for a color change but i make sure to extrude some out after the change while hot, unless i have to i would let it sit empty between color changes

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Both fans meaning what? The extruder cooling fan should always be running during a print. If that has stopped, then you're going to encounter issues with everything melting down.

bringjustn

Post by bringjustn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Electronics fan and extruder fan. Didn't have time to diagnose what is happening, the replacement fan might be the issue. I used the 12v fan that I had on hand if it is 24v then that might be the answer.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:13 am

The extruder fan and electronics fans are two 12V fans in series, to divide up the 24V between then. They run together, and should both be of the same model. It is not recommended to run without the extruder fan, things will melt down.