E3d V6 and heat creep

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
rsheldiii

E3d V6 and heat creep

Post by rsheldiii » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 am

hey guys,
I have a fairly new Makergear M2 with a very new E3d V6 and the Ikea cabinet enclosure (which probably factors into this a bit). I can get to some pretty nice temps in the enclosure and I've printed ABS objects I couldn't even dream of with my solidoodle, but lately I've been running into a problem. I was getting a bunch of jams with PLA and trying to diagnose the issue, as it wasn't happening before; since jamming is kind of common with the V6 I chalked it up to bad luck. Recently though I jammed on an ABS print after a long print day and things started to click. I felt the top of the E3d and it was pretty hot; nothing close to bed temperature but getting up there, I had to remove my finger after a few seconds. Since then I've made an effort to keep the door open more, and things seemed to have calmed down a bit... but I'd like to be able to keep the door shut all the time since it definitely improves the bed adhesion of my ABS prints.

so I guess my question is, has anyone else run into this issue, and did you do anything to mitigate it? also what extruder assemblies are people with E3d's printing with, and do any of them have mounts for 40mm fans?

jimc

Re: E3d V6 and heat creep

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:41 am

couple things. i have been running a v6 on my m2 for probably 9 mos now. my printer runs 20 hrs a day 7 days a week and i dont see any kind of jams with it. atleast nothing abnormal. if you are finding that yours is prone to jams then you have an issue there that need some resolving. as for the heat creep, i dont get that either however i dont have my printer in an enclosure either. with my hot end heated for hours i can grab it by the fins and pull it out of the filament drive with my fingers. do you have the 30mm fan with the duct blowing on the cooling fins? if its getting hot in your enclosure then that is something you need to address. it sounds like it would be hot enough for other things to overheat as well like electronics, steppers, etc. too hot is great for the print but bad on the printer. here is a link to my e3d setup for the m2.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:344950

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I've had no PLA jams on mine , no creep. I also haven't used a cabinet yet on mine.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

LonV

Post by LonV » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 am

I don't get any creep or jams either...but not using an enclosure.