M2 Extruder stepper motor not turning

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jimc

Re: M2 Extruder stepper motor not turning

Post by jimc » Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 am

do you have filament in it when your trying to turn the motor?

b8smat

Post by b8smat » Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 am

No

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok well at this point you should contact makergear support

b8smat

Post by b8smat » Wed May 21, 2014 3:01 am

MakerGear support figured out the issue for me. My son had changed the extrude speed in Pronterface to 5mm/min (from 100) so it hadn't really locked up, it was just turning really really slowly!

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed May 21, 2014 3:16 am

hahahahah!!! thats a good one :lol: its funny now but im sure it was frustrating. its good you got that resolved.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 am

That's pretty clever. I would never have thought to check for that. I guess when you handle "real" support calls, you've seen it all....

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu May 22, 2014 3:11 am

b8smat wrote:MakerGear support figured out the issue for me. My son had changed the extrude speed in Pronterface to 5mm/min (from 100) so it hadn't really locked up, it was just turning really really slowly!
I have twenty bucks that says Josh is the one who figured it out. He's seen everything with Pronterface.
Dale

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Ok, was trying to change filament, extruded couple cm and when I inserted a new filament it didn want to feed, and then I figured out that extruder motor doesn't work. I took filament drive off the motor and now I'm trying to extrude or reverse and motor gear doesn't turn, when I try to turn it by hand it turns easily. I heated hot-end up so it doesn't prevent me from cold-extrusion. I did reset Rambo but still no result. What else can I do?

UPD: fan on RAMBO doesn't work either

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am

nokianich wrote: motor gear doesn't turn, when I try to turn it by hand it turns easily
That suggests the pinion gear on the motor shaft that drives the planetary reduction gear is loose / broken / worn out.

Put a mark on the motor shaft (on the back of the case) and see whether the shaft turns when you:
  • Spin the filament drive gear by hand: no = bad pinion
  • Extrude some filament: yes = bad pinion
If the shaft turns when you turn the gear, but it doesn't turn when you extrude some filament, then the motor isn't getting power from the stepper driver.

Do the other motors operate correctly?
UPD: fan on RAMBO doesn't work either
That's driven from the same MOSFET that runs the upper fan (on the filament drive). If both fans are stopped, then there's a common problem. If a wire fell out of the connector and touched the logic circuitry inside, well, that could kill pretty nearly everything.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 am

it didn't work at all but it was stupid move on my side, moved the printer to change a pool and cable from power supply unplugged connector to Rambo in half. Plugged it in back and everything works now. Thank you anyway for reply