Spastic hotend temps

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jimc

Re: Spastic hotend temps

Post by jimc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 pm

having spares of anything hot end related is always a good idea. i keep spare complete hot ends, spare heaters, thermistors, nozzles, molex connectors. everything i need to rebuild the the extruder end of the machine. even though everything last a long time i consider the hot end stuff as consumable. its all just part of the fun i guess and the only thing that kills the fin for me is not having something on hand when i need it. drives me nuts.

therenegademaster

Post by therenegademaster » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 am

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but.. Is the thermistor part of the hotend? Are you talking about buying a new hotend, part of the hotend, or some other part?

I have to agree that MakerGear support, and the community, are awesome. I print quite a lot and my printer has been pretty solid, but it's nice to know I can easily replace a part if I need to.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:30 am

the thermistor slides into the heater block on the hotend.

Vprints

Post by Vprints » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:35 pm

What jimc said. ;)

There are two sets of wires (on mine, the insulating sleeves make it actually look like one set of two red ones, and a single black one) feeding into the side of the V3b hotend. The two red ones (top) handle actually heating the hot end; the black ones (bottom) are to the thermistor, which easily slides right out of the hot end; the business end looks like a little ~1-inch metal rod.

[On the positive side, I've learned a bit more specifics about how the M2 is built this week... :| ]
-Vprints

Changing my world, one print at a time

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:01 pm

I have just placed an order for 2 new thermistors from makergear. One to fix it now and one to fix it later!

I also had thermistor issues, but was easy to diagnose. Jiggling the thermistor wire near the heater block while heating the extruder caused it to alternate between the actual temp and O degrees.

I'll post my results in a few days when the chocolate arrives. ;)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:31 pm

So my thermistors arrived. My old thermistor's housing had come off at the hotend side. I see the the new ones have a small crimp around them now, so maybe that will help.

Took about 10 seconds to pop the new one on. I also took the time to reset my bed level and lube the Z-leadscrew.

Back to printing!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites