Methods for extra bed cooling?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Methods for extra bed cooling?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:44 am

Has anyone swapped out the 50mm fan for an upgraded one or added an extra fan? If not, maybe someone could point me in the direction of getting more effective cooling of my parts?

does anyone know the max output for the 50mm fan circuit in case I swap to a more powerful fan or run multiple?

Jeremy

jsc

Re: Methods for extra bed cooling?

Post by jsc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:18 am

Yes. This: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0/603-1283-ND is the most powerful 50mm 24V fan from digikey. It is twice as thick as the stock fan, you will need an alternative mount for it, preferably one with a shroud.

You can see some overhang photos here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2020

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:10 am

I chose to go the easy route.....I turn on one of these when I'm printing something with an overhang, and it blasts the living daylights out of it with cool air - much more than you can get off a little 50mm fan. Tried three different fans before I discovered this one...it's small enough to stand on the power box for added height, and it cools the whole bed, no matter where it is along the z. I just orient the overhang areas towards the fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-4000-Stik-U ... +tower+fan

Does a great job keeping those little globbies from forming on PLA.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Haha! thats funny you mention that Jules! I had this open in another window considering it for right behind the printer, the rear of mine faces an inside corner of a wall so it will fit well in there...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garri ... TEqxRceb7A

Jsc, perhaps it would be worth it to get the better 50mm fan AND the room fan for the rear, more cooling couldn't hurt, and can easily be shut off if not needed.

Thanks for the replies!

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Fan ordered from digikey JSC

8-)

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:13 am

Good call Jsc, that fan puts out more at 50% than the original at 100% and its quieter. mount was a breeze to make up too. I also got a stick fan for behind the printer. I went ahead and printed the fan mount with no support on the overhangs to see if the stick fan would help and it turned out flawlessly. Probably dont even need the 50mm fan now lol oh well.

sidenote, I ordered the fan friday morning and it was at my door monday morning, they charged me $8 for shipping and sent it fedex overnight, needless to say I'm very impressed.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:40 am

I think static pressure matters more than CFM because you are not trying to cool a wide area - just the area around the nozzle.

I have been using these:

http://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/delt ... 24shb#eFzy

I have one on my filament drive, another on my E3D, and another on my bed. A year ago they were $1.50 each, so I bought a dozen.

AFB0424SHB
DELTA ELECTRONICS
40x40mm DC Fan Ball Bearing 24V 0.12A 2.88W 11000RPM 14.83CFM 41.5dB Flange Mount

It is 5mm thinner, 10mm less wide, presumably a lot lighter, and has twice as much air pressure as the 50x50mm fan.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:27 am

static air pressure should only be a factor if you're using a duct, or restriction of some kind. In that case yes, neither the fan that came with the printer, nor the one I replaced it with, will put out enough pressure to realize the potential of a ducting system.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:19 am

Hm. I am using a duct, maybe I should go for Rob's Arrow fan. Then there's this one: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/248118 which is even better for static pressure, but way down on CFM. I went with a 50mm fan because I thought the width would help with getting airflow out to both of my nozzles, but with a duct it shouldn't matter.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:24 am

wrenches wrote:static air pressure should only be a factor if you're using a duct, or restriction of some kind. In that case yes, neither the fan that came with the printer, nor the one I replaced it with, will put out enough pressure to realize the potential of a ducting system.
"Static air pressure" and "air pressure" mean the same thing for this purpose.

Air pressure is the intensity of air (how much wind you feel). CFM is how much air is moved, no matter if most of it will miss the area to be cooled.

What you want is the most possible air pressure around the nozzle.

It is my belief that since my fan is so small and so high in pressure, that there is no point in using a duct. A larger but lower-pressure fan will want a duct.