Heater Block fit

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
shadowwynd

Heater Block fit

Post by shadowwynd » Sat May 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I recently had to disassemble my V3b hotend to clean a stubborn clog. Now that everything is cleaned, the heater element and the thermistor are too loose in the heater block. They insert very easily, but I think that the motion of the hotend would be enough to dislodge them. I have a spare V3b hotend and the heater and thermistor are stay put when gentle pressure is applied. To my mind, it also appears that the tiny airgap between the heater and the block would create an inefficient heat transfer, and the air gap between block and thermistor would create inaccurate temperature readings.

How snug should these parts be? Would a thermal paste such as heatsink grease (e.g. Artic Silver http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-The ... B000OGX5AM) work? I think the grease might bridge the air gap enough to prevent the parts sliding out and create more efficient heat transfer. Has anyone encountered this before?

insta

Re: Heater Block fit

Post by insta » Sat May 09, 2015 11:04 pm

There's a set screw that holds the heater cartridge, and the zip-tie against the thermistor legs holds it in place. What happened with the set screw on yours?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

shadowwynd

Re: Heater Block fit

Post by shadowwynd » Sun May 10, 2015 1:56 am

Forgot about the set screw. :oops:
Thanks!