filament is extruding too thinly

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
smear

filament is extruding too thinly

Post by smear » Thu May 21, 2015 11:52 pm

I recently got a new extruder (the nozzle of my previous one fell off when I was trying to unclog it). Now, when I print, the individual lines of the print seem to be coming out too thin, such that adjacent lines don't stick together. So when I try to print a brim, the lines come out like unconnected hairs instead of a continuous surface.

I'm printing with PLA filament that worked fine before my previous extruder got clogged. For print settings, I'm using M2 optimized profiles I downloaded from thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:269637 .

Tim

Re: filament is extruding too thinly

Post by Tim » Fri May 22, 2015 1:49 am

What is the hole diameter of the new nozzle? Is it the standard 0.35mm? It's possible that the hole is just on the small side. You can adjust the extruder multiplier to compensate. But then, the tolerances on these things are usually pretty tight. Is the filament path completely unobstructed all the way down?
Also, is this a V3b extruder?

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri May 22, 2015 3:26 am

You could also be printing too far from the bed. Here's a one-step process to simultaneously fix extrusion width issues and z-height issues by simply making a test print and plugging a few numbers into S3D: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2193#p11431

Bluesoulx12

Post by Bluesoulx12 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:10 am

Also check that your software parameters didn't change. I know that changing the extrusion multiplier will give you spiderwebs.