Suggestions for monitoring prints while Im away??

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Suggestions for monitoring prints while Im away??

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:48 pm

I'd like to get a webcam for monitoring my prints while I'm not at home that I could monitor from my phone. does anyone have any suggestions?

jsc

Re: Suggestions for monitoring prints while Im away??

Post by jsc » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:28 am

I have a Logitech C920. Great little webcam, hardware h264 encoder, not too expensive (your mileage may vary). I have a mount rigged up for it (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:443466) but a little more distance might be better.

Since my printer sits right next to my computer, I have set up Skype to autoanswer calls, and I can watch it from my phone. I tried forever to figure out how to get a usable video stream out of gstreamer so I can have it hooked up to the Beaglebone Black that is driving the printer, but at this time that seems impossible. You can get a pretty responsive in-browser stream in OctoPrint using mjpg_streamer, but it started crashing on me after a system update, so I can't use it any more.

Anyway, long story short: Logitechs, even the lower end models, are pretty decent if you have a computer nearby that can run Skype. I've also heard good things about Dropcam, which is easier to use standalone.

jdacal

Re: Suggestions for monitoring prints while Im away??

Post by jdacal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 am

I'm using a Foscam F19821W V2 on mine.

Its ok for an overview of whats happening but can't really see fine details. I'm also using a IR spotlight to add more lighting than the camera LED's offer.

I've been looking for an affordable camera with a good optical zoom to allow zooming in on the print, but no such animal exists at a reasonable price.

I access it via my Synology network drive which has surveillance software, but you can also access it through many of the apps available for tablets and phones. You can see it in action in my signature link below.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!