filament

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Amorese128

filament

Post by Amorese128 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Ok I am having trouble with filament. Can anyone recommend a good filament that works great with the M2. The stuff I purchased does not adhere to itself well PLY and ABS. I use multiple colors so I need a good source.

insta

Re: filament

Post by insta » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Take your pick ...

eSUN has treated us well in the past, we go through a local distributor in the US -- intservo.com. The same plastic is also sold under MicroCenter's house brand "Inland".

I use Ultimachine plastics too, especially their PLA if I can get it on sale.

What plastic were you using, and what settings? I've almost never had a problem with plastic not adhering to itself, usually its the bed it has an issue with.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 pm

For PLA and ABS, can't go wrong with the stuff MakerGear sells on its web site.

What temperatures are you running with these? If you have experience with other printers, you may need to dial up 10 to 20 degrees. The temperature sensor on the M2 V3b and V4 hot ends is near the heater, but there's a temperature gradient from there to the tip of the nozzle. If you're used to running PLA at 190 to 195, try about 210 on the M2. If you're trying to run ABS at 220, try more like 240. Full fan on PLA, NO fan on ABS, and with ABS you may need an enclosure.

eSun / intservo PETg and MadeSolid PET+ (at least the clear ones) have great adhesion layer-to-layer if you run hot enough (245-ish) with way less curl/shrinkage than ABS. It'll take a bit for you to work out the settings to control the drool and stringing with PET, but you'll find it time well spent. A couple folks here have tried-and-true profiles for PET that then can share. (I'm not near my printing PC to grab one for you right now.)

helix_3

Post by helix_3 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:14 pm

insta wrote:Take your pick ...

eSUN has treated us well in the past, we go through a local distributor in the US -- intservo.com. The same plastic is also sold under MicroCenter's house brand "Inland".

I use Ultimachine plastics too, especially their PLA if I can get it on sale.

What plastic were you using, and what settings? I've almost never had a problem with plastic not adhering to itself, usually its the bed it has an issue with.
I can second Inland, perfect filament and the best price I have ever seen.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:22 pm

i've had good luck with (and in no partiular order)

folger tech
jet
makergear
makerbot
esun
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:21 pm

I have not found any that I can't run with the right settings. I wonder it is indeed the filament ? Even cheap Chinese stuff gives me great results. In fact the best pla and the one I use all the time is 12 dollars a roll next day delivery off of ebay. Lol

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:01 am

I do find that each maker has diffrent optimal settings. i typicly write the temp and filiment size right on the spool once i figure it out again.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:05 am

in general over the past 2 years i have noticed filament getting better and better where even the cheap import stuff has been good. when i started 2 1/2 years ago that wasnt the case. there was a ton of crap out there. you really had to watch what you buy.