Hot end is totally clogged

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
b8smat

Hot end is totally clogged

Post by b8smat » Sat May 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Now it won't extrude at all, not even any sign off plastic bubbling when it gets up to temperature. The 2mm brass tube is clear. What do I do now?

jimc

Re: Hot end is totally clogged

Post by jimc » Sun May 25, 2014 6:15 pm

if the hotend is totally clogged then you need to disassemble and unclog it. its not a super complex thing, the entire filament path from guide tube all the way to the hole in the nozzle need to be completely clear. if it is then it will extrude no problem. if your overtorqued on tensioning screw it can squish the filament into an oval so it will no go through the hole in the lower part of the filament drive. 3d printed holes are never perfectly round when printed horizontal like the filament drive is so whenever i print a new one of those i always run a 3/32" drill bit down the filament drive hole to clean it up and make it nice and perfectly round.

BigJimSlade

Post by BigJimSlade » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:16 am

My hot end is clogged. I have disassembled.

However, part of the filament extends from the hot end into the drive assembly, forming a locking pin.

I cannot remove the hot end from the drive assembly to clean it out.

How do I remedy that?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:28 am

take an exacto knife and slide it between the top of the peek insulator and the bottom of the filament drive so you can slice the filament right at that point. you can then disassemble as you normally would.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:20 am

Had this happen to me, slicing off the filament spread the extruder drive piece. Making it worthless.

Brought the hot end up to temp. Held the clogged hot end with pliers, pushed on the filament with a large paper clip.
This took some pressure, when the clog released steam shot and spit out of the nozzle, then the hot end was good to go.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com