M2 Viki 2.0 Firmware - Can anyone get it to work? (Link)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
format13

M2 Viki 2.0 Firmware - Can anyone get it to work? (Link)

Post by format13 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 pm

I came across this firmware from the wiki, but can only get the beeper and LEDs to work, can anyone give this a shot?

I followed everything in the header of the Marlin.ino file and still no go.

http://makergear.wdfiles.com/local--fil ... ki2-M2.zip

Mark the Greater

Re: M2 Viki 2.0 Firmware - Can anyone get it to work? (Link)

Post by Mark the Greater » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:26 pm

I hope so! Right now all mine does it flicker when I more the Z axis with the machine unplugged...
Love Always,
MtG

format13

Post by format13 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:49 am

I actually have my board completely unplugged from the machine right now as I had to get a replacement, so hopefully that doesn't effect how the lcd reacts, though it shouldn't as that shouldn't effect SPI.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:56 am

Sounds like you fine gentlemen could use some 1.0 Vikis.

I might know a guy selling them.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

format13

Post by format13 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:39 am

Ha! A few months ago I would have taken you up, it looks like this nut might be close to being cracked...

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:49 pm

:( please buy my vikis
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Well another VIKI no worky. I decided to order one as well and can't get it running either. Mine is an Makergear VIKI and I used the instructions from the M2 wiki.

I have sent an email to tech support and am waiting to hear back. The text follows:
Hi, I just ordered and received the new VIKI from you guys and started installing it. I have had partial success, but now the M2 won't move.

I installed the VIKI hardware onto the Rambo with no issue.

I used Arduino 1.5.5 to upload the M2_LCD_Firmware_24Vw24Vheater Marlin.pde file which matches my machine (ordered April 2014) as instructed in the Wiki. The upload was successful.

The machine is powered up and the fans are running.

*Problem--- The VIKI display is lit, but blank.

The M2 has opened communication with S3D successfully under the Communications tab.

*Problem--- None of the controls will work the motors, only the emergency stop button works.
Wonder what is up. My guess would be something in the LCD added firmware is not making nice with the M2. I have had this machine running without issue over a year now until today. Slightly bummed, but hopeful. ;)

If I hear back with a solution I will post it up. In the meantime, anyone got an idea of what I can check?

-update- I have just reloaded the M2Marlin24r2 firmware to make sure the M2 still works. Full function was restored (with no LCD), so at least I know I didn't kill it. :)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:03 pm

Got this response within ten minutes, loaded the new firmware, and problem solved. Now that is some service!
Hello Will,
I'm sorry you are having trouble.

If you just got that LCD, I suspect you didn't get a Viki, but the new Geetech based model which has a knob on the front instead of a flat round button pad.

If I'm right, you need this firmware: http://makergear.wikidot.com/local--fil ... C_v1.0.zip

I believe that firmware also does not run the 40mm fans until you start heating.

Sorry for the mixup, but we ran into a supply problem with the Viki and pushed this newer LCD out a little too fast.

Scott,
MakerGear Support Crew
A bonus feature is not having those darned cooling fans running nonstop if it is powered up. They come on and off at 50ºC.

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 pm

One more comment on the installation if you have the Geeetech display. I had to remove the bottom right nut and bolt from the Rambo case fan and use some nippers to cut away the corner housing of the fan. The handy adapter Geeetech designed makes the connection simple, but the plug is a bit too tall inside the case. It was a simple fix.

Armed with the right info, software, and experience, I could do this install again in 10 minutes.

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:31 pm

willnewton wrote:Armed with the right info, software, and experience, I could do this install again in 10 minutes.
Oh! You mean proper instructions! MG seems to prefer a DIY approach to their machines.
Love Always,
MtG