Problem with extruder

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KeithA

Problem with extruder

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Well I was just bragging about how well everything was working and bam have a problem. I retracted one color and everything seemed fine. When I went to put in the other it does not grab it or make any noise when I hit extrude. So I am basically dead in the water. Any suggestions?

j-rod

Re: Problem with extruder

Post by j-rod » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 pm

is the hot end heated up? if the extruder motor isn't even turning it may be due to the hot end not being at the correct temp.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm

170deg is the cutoff temp. its a safety to stop cold extrusion.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Yes it is heating up but wont grab or even try. I think some may have gotten jammed in there. I think I can see some filament when I look down the feed hole but that may just be the remaining portion of what was there.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:34 pm

I got it to work. I think something was bound up in there. I clicked retraction a few times and started to hear a click. Then I tried extrusion and the filament fed its way in there. Doing a test print now to see if it works ok.

Thanks

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 am

FYI - Sometimes filament can get jammed. There is a video to explain how to remove it.

Rick

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

I continue to have problems when trying to change the filament. The filament seems to retract Ok. I then cut the new on a 45 degree angle and attempt to feed the new in. It will makes a slight clicking noise and ends up extruding nothing. The filament now will only go on and out a small amount. extrude or retract. I have made small adjustments to the feeder tension but still no luck. The last time I got lucky and it ended up retracting but not this time. I did watch the video but was hoping to not take everything apart. The drive shaft does move but the filament does not. Any suggestions you can provide are appreciated.

Thanks

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 pm

How far is the filament getting in? If you feed until it stops, then pinch it at the top and retract it out, you should be able to hold it against the front and estimate where it is getting stuck.

If it is getting stuck at the bottom intake hole below the gear, you can try straightening your filament by bending it against the curve. A curve in the filament will tend to get it caught up past the gear and not make it into the hole.

If you have some ABS, you can also try printing a replacement extruder, there are several. Rsilvers' part was designed with an extra large intake cone for this reason.

You should also try to remove the extruder from the gear (it's easy, three screws) and check your gear. It may be gunked up with filament dust and unable to get a grip.

Oh, you say it won't retract out, I just noticed. Not even when you retract and apply pressure? You could try removing the extruder; if the filament hasn't managed to make it into the bottom intake, it won't be nailed in place.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 pm

It seems to get stuck at the bottom hole. I emailed Rick and he suggested I try a few things including straightening the filament better. I have now got it working again and will have to see if it acts up again.

Thanks