How to use S3D's terminal commands for post processing?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
swbluto

How to use S3D's terminal commands for post processing?

Post by swbluto » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:49 pm

See this window, would like to use it but have no idea how. It's the one inside the Process editor and it's a textbox titled "additional terminal commands for post processing". I'm sure I could use it to run a program as if it were command prompt, but I don't understand how you pass the gcode file that S3D's creates into the post processing program for processing; it'd be nice if S3D had a simple example somewhere. Or... maybe it does something more esoteric... like UNIX-style piping. :o

Dale Reed

Re: How to use S3D's terminal commands for post processing?

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:07 pm

IIRC, there are printers that use some binary communication instead of text-based human-readable G-code. Perhaps this is there to call up a separate program to convert the output of the slicer (the .GCODE file) to the target binary format for the (non-MG) printer.... Or maybe feed it into other standalone utilities. I think there's one out there that is based on the Marlin firmware which is used to get a more realistic estimate of the time to print, for example.

Just guessin'....
Dale

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:25 pm

I think maybe gpx is one such command. I think it just passes the name of the input gcode file as an argument. Could be wrong, haven't looked very closely.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 pm

So.....

If I were to type...

Cura...

It'd literally run "Cura <g-code filename>"?

That'd be nice so that I can attach my custom apps to the output.

To chain programs (Such as S3D->my-app->gpx), I'm guessing one would have to design it to modify that one file instead of creating new files.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 pm

I decided to run my programs after S3D outputs the necessary files instead of using this feature. My programs take more than 1 custom argument, and I didn't really want to modify the program for S3D.