Has anyone changed the fan in their power supply?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Rara

Re: Has anyone changed the fan in their power supply?

Post by Rara » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:10 am

A hah!

I was using one of those nice looking 3 to 2 pin adapters that came with the 40mm fans..what I did not see under all the pretty heat shrink was that the +/- polarity was reversed from the original fan. I had thought if that were the case, it would simply run in reverse, but I was talking to one of the EE's where I work about it and he said they don't work like that (didn't get in depth as to the why's, but he was in the middle of something so I didn't want to take any more of his time :oops: ). Anyway I just swapped the pins around and I'm back in business! :mrgreen:
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

insta

Post by insta » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Rara wrote:A hah!

I was using one of those nice looking 3 to 2 pin adapters that came with the 40mm fans..what I did not see under all the pretty heat shrink was that the +/- polarity was reversed from the original fan. I had thought if that were the case, it would simply run in reverse, but I was talking to one of the EE's where I work about it and he said they don't work like that (didn't get in depth as to the why's, but he was in the middle of something so I didn't want to take any more of his time :oops: ). Anyway I just swapped the pins around and I'm back in business! :mrgreen:
You can't simply reverse the pins because inside the fan is an entire chip dedicated to detecting the fan's position and firing the next coil in sequence. The chip doesn't run on reverse voltages (and honestly I'm surprised it survived).
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Rara

Post by Rara » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Yikes! Christmas miracle, I suppose..
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:39 am

3dPrintingMD wrote:So far I've replaced the extruder, power supply, and electronics case with Noctua fans.

I am basically sitting around dreaming and hoping that some fellow maker will make a bracket for a V2 and a 40mm fan so I can replace the bed fan as well :D
start with this. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1368032

The power supply fan swap for a Noctua 60mm is one of best you can make in terms of noise reduction. Simple swap too. I just left the front cover off the power supply for airflow. I've left my MG turned on for a month or longer with no issues.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

ef-

Post by ef- » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:50 am

Hi guys, i find the PSU fan to be the loudest in my system. This thread points out to quiet fans like Noctua's 60mm to be the way to go.
I have the 24v system, is the fan in the PSU 12v so i can fit the fan or is it 24v and need to look somewhere else?

Thanks!

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 pm

yes, the supply has an internal 12v fan hookup. order the one from this link.
jdacal wrote:I changed all my fans, eerie silence now along with the stepper dampers that were recommended here.

Here's the fan links from Amazon in case someone wants to use them:

Power Supply fan (note that Noctua fan moves about 20% less air than the original if I recall correctly. I did not re-install the Makergear case on mine. Running nice and cool though AND quiet):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQ ... detailpage

40mm x 10mm fans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQ ... detailpage
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

ef-

Post by ef- » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 am

willnewton wrote:yes, the supply has an internal 12v fan hookup.
Thanks for the quick reply, Will.. fan ordered

bradisrad

Post by bradisrad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 am

Rara wrote:A hah!

The makergear m2 power supply board has a 2 pin connection. The 60mm and 40mm noctua fans has 3-pin connector. So you're going to need that 3-pin to 2-pin adapter. The problem is that the 2 pin on the supply board is reverse the +/- polarity of that of the adapter. To fix the problem, swap the pins on the 2-pin end of the adapter and the fan should work now.

To swap: Find a way to pull the wires out of the adapter socket and put it back in reverse socket from before. For me, I just push down the tap and pull, then swap them and push it back in.

Here's video on how to take out wire from socket connector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9xeg_3eREc

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 am

I realize that this is an old thread, but for some reason my power supply fan seemed a bit more obnoxious than usual today. I suspect it's because other common noise sources in my shop were quiet today, but it got me thinking...

The Noctura fans mentioned in this thread were rated at 20% less air flow than the stock fan, but that was from three years ago. I'm wondering, has anyone has found a quiet fan that supplies as much air as the original?

I've got the Nocrura part number, but I was also hoping someone has the make & model of the stock power supply fan so I can look up the specs.

Thanks!

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm

I can't help you with the specs but I've had the Noctura's in all 3 of my power supplies and I've never had an issue.... well I have to assume they are running because they sure can't be heard.