Extruder Insulation?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
sthone

Extruder Insulation?

Post by sthone » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:38 pm

I need a new piece of the Insulation that goes over the hotend block (V4)... anyone know if it's listed on the main site?

I found this on the spare parts page - "Expandable Rubber Coated Fiberglass Insulation (1/2" x 4" pc)" is this what I'm looking for?

or maybe "M2 Extruder Tubing"?

-Steve

Jules

Re: Extruder Insulation?

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:45 pm

I think the extruder tubing is the clear tube on top. Must be the fiberglass.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Ooh your probably right ... thanks for the reminder I could use another tube too for quicker on the fly filament changes. I just ordered one of both so I'll find out I guess :) I ordered one of every nozzle size for the V4 also, time to start playing around. I wonder if that .75 one will print super fast. :shock:

insta

Post by insta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 pm

sthone wrote:Ooh your probably right ... thanks for the reminder I could use another tube too for quicker on the fly filament changes. I just ordered one of both so I'll find out I guess :) I ordered one of every nozzle size for the V4 also, time to start playing around. I wonder if that .75 one will print super fast. :shock:
You actually have to slow down for the 0.75 nozzle (assuming you're upping the layer height to match). On the V3b I was running 0.5mm layers at about 50mm/sec for HIPS at 240C, whereas I can normally run 100mm/sec @ 0.15mm layers. Too much faster and it'd strip out the filament.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm

How high of a layer could I go with a .75 ?

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:20 am

Future reference for anyone....

"Expandable Rubber Coated Fiberglass Insulation (1/2" x 4" pc)" is the Black insulation on the hot end.

and

"M2 Extruder Tubing" is the Clear Filament Feeder Tube.

-Steve :D

raualex

Post by raualex » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Does anyone know where to get this (Expandable Rubber Coated Fiberglass Insulation) or some alternative in Europe ? I would order it from Makergear if shipping was not 50 bucks so I'm looking for other sources.

Thanks in advance, Alex

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:37 pm

raualex wrote:Does anyone know where to get this (Expandable Rubber Coated Fiberglass Insulation) or some alternative in Europe ? I would order it from Makergear if shipping was not 50 bucks so I'm looking for other sources.

Thanks in advance, Alex
You're looking for your local equivalent to Grainger or McMaster-Carr here in the States. I'm not sure what that is for you. The product you're looking for is Expandable Fiberglass Sleeving, or maybe Expandable High Temperature Insulating Sleeving. Or something like that. it's expandable fiberglass sleeving with a silicone coating. I think the silicon coating is mostly to cut down on shedding, really.

raualex

Post by raualex » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:20 am

I found something which look identical to the stuff on my hotend. The brand is called Hilec. However the are dozens of different categories/profiles most probably due to heat resistance etc.

If in doubt I'll ask Makergear support - just want to avoid that the insulation later on melts on my hotend :D

Thanks for the hint.