Extruder gear jam mid print...

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jsc

Re: Extruder gear jam mid print...

Post by jsc » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Contact MG for warranty support.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 pm

1. Remove the fan so you can see the gear. You can't correctly diagnose it while the fan is in place - just set it aside on the rail, or let it dangle.
2. Examine to see if there is something blocking the inside of the filament drive around the gear.
3. Send a jog command from S3d while it is heated up, to see if you can get the gear to turn without the fan in place. You need to be able to see the gear turning, not rely on whether the filament is going in or not. If it turns - great. Take the filament drive off if you need to and remove whatever is jamming it. Put the filament drive back on and adjust the tension correctly. That particular spool of filament might have had a thick spot in it and it just jammed. Or it might be too humid and it snapped off inside the drive where you can't see it.
4. If the gear does not turn when you send the jog command:
1. remove the filament drive and check it more closely for something jamming it. You should be able to run a piece of filament all the way through easily. Hold it up to the light and check that you can see all the way through it. If the filament is sticking, but you can see clear through it, your filament diameter is too large to fit through the hole.
2. try to send the jog command again with the filament drive removed.
3. if it still does not turn, start a support ticket with MakerGear.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:51 am

yup sounds like the pinion gear is shot or a broken shaft. you can remove the motor and disassemble the gearbox to check it. its just the 4 allen socket screw on the front. if its broken or stripped then contact support. they will send you a new one.

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:54 pm

I had the fan off when I found that the extruder gear wasn't turning. About to attempt to take it apart. Just hope I remove the right screws. I can build computers. I shouldn't be this nervous taking apart a 3D printer.

This is why I wish I could've gotten a kit. I'd feel much more comfortable taking it apart since I would've put it all together.

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Removed the filament drive so now I have a fully exposed extruder gear. Nothing was blocking it in the drive. Heated it up and tried jogging it-- gear didn't move.

When I ordered the M2, I got a second extruder. Haven't felt comfortable enough to install it yet so it's just sitting in a box. Since it has it's own extruder parts, what pieces can I take from it to fix the one on the printer now?

Or should I just leave it and open a support ticket? Was hoping to print some stuff today but if I should leave it as is and wait for support then I will.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:22 pm

If the gear isn't moving, the problem isn't with the extruder itself, it's with the stepper motor. Your machine should be under warranty and MG will replace anything necessary. I would contact them in any case to get a replacement.