Snapped Hot End

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Mach
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:05 am

Snapped Hot End

Post by Mach » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:50 pm

I recently picked up a new M2 and ordered a stainless nozzle for printing glow and brassfill. In the process of taking apart my hotend, I snapped it at the heatbreak. Lesson learned on how delicate it is. I've order 2 more from Makergear.

Is the broken one now junk? Is the assembly 1 piece or is the heat break threaded into the main part of the hotend?

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by Jules » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 am

You can screw the nozzle off and re-use the thermistor if you need it down the road. Breakdown instructions for the V4 are here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2942

MagicEngineer
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 am

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by MagicEngineer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:12 am

If you look through the forum you will find that quite a few of us have done the same thing. It's an expensive lesson, but one you usually only have to learn once.

Mach
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:05 am

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by Mach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:16 am

Thank you both for the input. I'll hang onto the broken one then.

User avatar
sthone
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by sthone » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Mach wrote:I recently picked up a new M2 and ordered a stainless nozzle for printing glow and brassfill. In the process of taking apart my hotend, I snapped it at the heatbreak. Lesson learned on how delicate it is. I've order 2 more from Makergear.

Is the broken one now junk? Is the assembly 1 piece or is the heat break threaded into the main part of the hotend?
Let me guess you tried to change the nozzle with it mounted in the press right? :( Looking at the broken one I have :oops: it looks like they are press fit together.

I was looking at ordering some materials to try and fix the one I have... does anyone know what type of PTFE these are lined with? I looked on Mcmaster and it looks like there is a few different kinds of PTFE choose from.

-Steve
____________________________________________________
See my projects at https://www.theneverendingprojectslist.com

User avatar
SouthSideofdaSky
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:43 pm

sthone wrote:does anyone know what type of PTFE these are lined with? I looked on Mcmaster and it looks like there is a few different kinds of PTFE choose from.
Rick posted this back in February and I bookmarked the post...don't know if the design has been tweaked since then or not though...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1606&p=8646#p8646

Mach
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:05 am

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by Mach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:33 pm

sthone wrote: Let me guess you tried to change the nozzle with it mounted in the press right? :( Looking at the broken one I have :oops: it looks like they are press fit together.
I was looking at ordering some materials to try and fix the one I have... does anyone know what type of PTFE these are lined with? I looked on Mcmaster and it looks like there is a few different kinds of PTFE choose from.
Oh yeah, just like I knew what I was doing. Rookie mistake compounded by Murphy's law - I was able to find the instructions for changing the nozzle after I broke it. I should have searched harder.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to ship nozzle instructions or a link to the instructions with the replacement nozzles. I've already paid for my knowledge but it may benefit future newbie or the absent minded. On a plus side, the MG team has already shipped my replacement.

I thought the heatbreak was made of metal but I did not look at it too closely. I can take some macro shots tonight. I'd rather fix it for a backup if possible.

Edit: No its not just PTFE. Scott at MG support replied that the replacement barrels are for sale but they're a bear to replace. I'm going to give it a shot.

Image
Last edited by Mach on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sthone
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by sthone » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks.. I was going to order a rod and see if it could be machined but that narrows it down for me. Going to see if I can get the bit and pieces out of the old block first.

-Steve
____________________________________________________
See my projects at https://www.theneverendingprojectslist.com

User avatar
insta
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 am

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by insta » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:37 am

Just for giggles, I took apart the hotend I set fire to. It was pretty easy, I removed the heater cartridge and thermistor, then slipped a deepwell socket over the upper barrel against the block, then squished it with a C-clamp. Almost immediately, and with a loud pop, the barrel jumped out. It didn't take much squeezin' to get it to stick back in the block either, although I'm sure there's an official way to do it.
20151207_183436.jpg
20151207_183420.jpg
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

User avatar
sthone
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Snapped Hot End

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks for the socket idea insta, I used a small arbor press and socket and it popped right out. This is going to be easier to fix than I though, just need to drop MG a email and order a new barrel.

I wonder why the barrel is cut like that though, it seems like that's a unnecessary weak spot in the design.

-Steve
____________________________________________________
See my projects at https://www.theneverendingprojectslist.com

Post Reply