Filament over flow causing grinding when nozzle passes over

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
nazekaosman

Filament over flow causing grinding when nozzle passes over

Post by nazekaosman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:33 pm

Greetings Folks,

I just got my Makergear M2 last week. It is my first Cartesian printer. I normally worked with Deltas. Very happy with the quality. However, I am seeing this issue during my prints that I haven't experienced before.

I was hoping someone seen this and might have a solution.

Issue Description:

When filling perimeters, it seems that the filament "over flows" or is raised up a bit. Which causes a loud grinding noise when the nozzle passes over it.

Attempts to troubleshoot:

1- I am using the black PLA filament spool that came with the printer. Although, I tried 2 other PLA filaments (Third party) with same issue.
2- I have triple checked the bed leveling.
3- I have experimented with temperatures. The issue appeared when printing with the recommended 195, but I went back and tried to print using 180,185,190,195,200,205, and 210. The issue continues.
4- I have messed around the speeds as well. Printed at 60 mm/s and Settled with 30 mm/s at the moment, but the issue happens with both speeds.
5- It seems that this issue happens when the Perimeters are filled in a long line across the perimeter's length. Other Perimeters that are filled in a Zigzag patters along it's width do not produce that.
6- Using a paper test, my Z Calibration feels right. I don't think it is a Z Height problem.
7- I am using Slic3er mainly, but I tried with Cura and I am getting the same issue as well.

Pictures to Clarify the issue: (I hope this helps)
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
Any help is appreciated.

Matt_Sharkey

Re: Filament over flow causing grinding when nozzle passes o

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Well it looks kinda cool, but that aside...

have you calculated the extrusion multiplier? you may be over extruding.
link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1964#p9144

if that doesn't help, try lowering your infill/perimeter overlap. my PLA profile is set to 15% overlap.

Welcome to the forum! Many helpful people here with more knowledge and experience than me.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Probably the gap between the bed and the nozzle is too small....(It's the most likely candidate for a "new to the M2" user. :) )

Read through the Guide to Getting Started post here, it really helps to lay out the few calibrations that you need to perform to get the machine set up and extruding correctly. (It's written for complete newbies to 3D printing, but those with experience need to do the calibrations as well, to get good results.)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2778

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Just a crazy idea, but check the set screw that holds the hot end in place and see if maybe it is loose and the whole hot end is slowly being pushed out.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm

I had the same issue awhile back. If you are using S3D, find the setting called overlap and turn it down. Let me know if this helps.

EDIT: finally home infront of my computer. The setting is under Infill and is called perimeter overlap. Mine is set to 15%, when turned up to %25 I had the exact same issue as you.

nazekaosman

Post by nazekaosman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Hummmmmmm, I didn't excpect that, but the only way for me to fix this is to reduce my extrusion multiplier from 100% to 60% is slic3r. I didn't expecting that it is over extruding thaaat much. I will double check later to make sure that my Steps Per MM are correct on the extruder.

I ordered the printer pre assembled, but I don't know what happened during delivery because my first few prints will not stick in the outer areas of the bed and nozzle was clearly very far away on the outer areas yet it was Ok in the middle. So, I recalibrated myself and it all went down hill from there.

I have to admin, I am a bit frustrated by how hard it is to calibrate this thing. But the M2 has such an amazing reputation, I am giving this machine the benefit of the doubt and blaming my expertise.

I can't get a perfect bed calibration to save my life. I have tried the instructions word by word. The issue seems to be that When I calibrate the Z high in the center of the bed, then go calibrate the bed, (X0,Y125) and (X200,Y125) are always lower than the middle, it is if the bed is convex on the (X-Axis Line). I can get (X100,Y0) and (X100,Y250) (Y-Axis Line) and Middle to be the same high Perfectly.

Does anybody have a good manual on how to setup auto-leveling on an M2?

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:42 am

calibrate the Z height to be perfect in the center and equal on either side of it. The edges will always be worse, it is the nature of the machine. The belts that drive the X and Y are under enough tension that the X and Y rail bow a small amount. This causes the bed and nozzle to be further away from each other at the edges.

The best advice I can offer is to not depend on the edges for bed adhesion, and definitely use tape, glue or hairspray when you need to rely on the edges.

Besides that problem, your extrusion multiplier should fall around 0.90 to 1.10. some materials might be higher or lower than those numbers but only another tenth. 60% is just a silly multiplier.
can you send me your slic3r config files for your print settings and filament? maybe I could spot an issue.

File> Export Config...
.zip the file and attach it here.

nazekaosman

Post by nazekaosman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Thank you for your help all! a lot of stuff happened over the last week.

My extruder motor decided to fail. The excellent folks at MakerGear verified that it was in fact the motor and offered me a replacement immediately. while this happened, I got a shipment of feeler gauges, I re-leveled the bed, but with a little wedge at the right and left of the bed (Razor Blades).
IMG_0060.JPG
Three things changed:

a) Finally able to print on the whole bed.
b) The weird extrusion issue is almost not existent.
c) Getting very good quality prints.

I am not sure what fixed the issue, but it could have been a combination of all factors. Folks at MakerGear invited me to drop off the printer sometime to help me find out why is the print bed is convex (Or at least, why I am claiming it is, it could be my fault after all).

When testing my extrusion width, I am still getting weird results. Then I realized under the advanced tab in Slic3r, I have many options to play around with when it comes to extrusion width. So, I will play around some more with that!

I have heard amazing things about Simplify3D, So I am saving up for a license. I am sure it will provide even more excellent results. :D

Thank you all again,

Naz