Is my RAMBo dead?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Spotopolis

Is my RAMBo dead?

Post by Spotopolis » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:39 am

Last night my printer was working perfectly in the Quick Start app for the new leveling system and I had done the setup multiple times with no issues. I haven't actually printed anything since doing the conversion last week.

Tonight I go to fire it up, and anything involving a Z jog input or home all command in Quick Start or S3D locks it up until I restart the printer AND my computer. I can't get past the first "position platform" in Quick Start since it uses Z.

Under 'Advanced" in Quick Start and in S3D in general, I can jog X and Y, look at temps, preheat - anything really until I give it that first Z command, which it WILL perform ONCE and then lock up. S3D will stop communicating, and trying to disconnect and reconnect won't work. Quick Start keeps telling me the machine is not connected and reconnecting does nothing to "unlock" the printer.

I tried a different USB port on my machine, tried a different cable, and even tried another computer altogether but get the same result. I tried reflashing the firmware (using Arduino 1.55 with the latest ZMax firmware for the new leveling system) which took many tries because of disconnects but finally succeeded - with no joy. I verified the firmware and apps all are set to 115200 Baud. I've reset the printer multiple times and went inside the electronics case to see if anything was loose or out of order but everything looks to be tight.

Both computers are Macs in case it matters and both had always run it perfectly until tonight so I am convinced this is not a computer or cable issue. The M2 is a June 2013 12v/19v system running an E3D.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue and can maybe clue me in or tell what else to try?

I've attached the opening communication before doing anything, then after it locks up. It doesn't give an error message, it just stops communicating altogether. I don't know if has anything to do with the new leveling system changes or if my board has given up the ghost, but since Quick Start was working fine all week, I'm worried it's the latter. I thought I'd start here before emailing support in case I'm overlooking something obvious.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 7.47.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 8.03.38 PM.png

jimc

Re: Is my RAMBo dead?

Post by jimc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:01 am

very odd. since it just happens when trying to move the z motor then open up the elec box and unplug the z motor from the board. try a z move and see if it locks up again. if it does then out of curiosity, try flashing the board with the unmodified original firmware and try again.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:25 am

So, the mystery deepens. I did as Insta suggested and unplugged the Z motor. I was then able to jog X and Y, and when I jogged Z, nothing happened (of course with the motor unplugged). I was able to continue jogging the X and Y.

I plugged the Z motor back in and before messing with the firmware again, I decided to try it again. It worked PERFECTLY in Quick Start, so I tried it in S3D and it worked perfectly too! I ran a quick print and everything is working exactly as it should.

I checked the motor connections last night and they seemed tight but I hadn't unplugged and replugged them. Could this have just been the Z motor connector not seated all they way?

Strange, but I'm a super happy camper!

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 am

its possible but i told you to check it to make sure something wasnt shorting out in the z cable or creating a fault somewhere on that line. it could have just been a connection issue or some wires could be going bad on that harness and now you simply moved it so its not shorting or giving a fault of some kind. its just odd because the z harness doesnt move so its not the one that would usually go bad. well maybe it was nothing. if its something more serious then it will show itself again down the road.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:39 am

At least now I'll know where to look if it acts up again.

And I meant Jim, not Insta! All you multi-machine guys blur after a while when seen through jealous eyes :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:54 am

:lol:

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:21 am

it does sounds likely it wan't seated well.. sometimes you never think of checking the obvious...
A classic technician mistake.... troubleshooting a problem, only to realize after some time... its unplugged
not that i've ever done that myself... :roll:
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:29 pm

I had a similar experience yesterday. Fired up the printer, communications seemed okay, nothing would jog. After much pulling of hair, I discovered the power connector in the rear was not fully engaged; I think the dog pulled on the cable while I wasn't looking.