Stops at random points in the middle of the print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
PcS

Re: Stops at random points in the middle of the print

Post by PcS » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:49 am

It is an easy thing to check. And yes I had one flake out and it would either lock up , or just start printing in random directions out of nowhere.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:49 am

dklassen wrote:Old thread but all of a sudden the same thing is happening to me. Just stops at random points. LCD you say?
Interesting. It started happening to me too, and I'm hesitant to post anything about it because my setup is utterly different in every conceivable way. . . I have a Smoothieboard running Smoothieware, the computer is running Linux (so no Windows-related USB problems), etc. I have a dual extruder setup (and had this problem while running a dual extrusion print). But maybe that points to the common denominator being S3D?

I find this to be a very weird behavior. Usually it is repeatable to the exact same point in the print, but there is nothing in the g-code at that point to suggest that anything is different. At one point, it seemed to me to be related to the additional channel of information feeding back to the host with temperature updates. But then I ran a print with the "Temperature Monitoring" box unchecked, and it still stopped in the middle of the print.

I have gotten through a couple of prints by immediately double-clicking the "Pause" button in S3D. In fact, by watching the console window, I can see when it's about to stop before it happens, because the stream of temperature data coming back to the computer suddenly stops. If at that point, I do a quick "pause" and "play" in succession, the feedback information starts up again and the printer keeps going as if nothing happened. Of course, it's not a great solution to have to stare at the monitor screen for the entire duration of the print with my finger poised over the mouse button.

So it really looks like some kind of communication glitch, but I can't seem to narrow it down to a specific thing. The fact that it will stop dead in the middle of running a print off the SD card is really puzzling, although I still need to check if the printer can be paused in the middle of an SD card print by S3D. It really seems to be acting like S3D is sending a "pause" command to the printer, although I have always assumed that "pause" doesn't do anything except to stop sending more g-code commands to the printer.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 pm

I'm reading a lot that it's a Windows 10 problem which of course I'm running on my brand new 3D printing computer I built. I'm using S3D as well and there is some hit it could be a combination problem. Anyone here using Win 10 and S3D and have seen this problem lately?

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 pm

I seem to be relegated to printing via the SD card now. Any secret fix out there so I can go back to USB via S3D?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:15 am

Nope, no fix. Get a pi and run octoprint

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:19 am

I'm about ready to scrap the whole thing and just buy another Mac... that was flawless with S3D and my M2. Now I remember why I hated Windows so much. :evil: Got the pi all set up (used Octopi) and can't get the damn thing to connect to my wireless network. Can it really be this hard???

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:21 am

haha join the club. it is a bear to get the wifi going. we have a few threads on here talking about getting the wifi going. did you edit the txt file on the sd card and uncomment everything?

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:23 am

Yep.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:26 pm

What program did you use to edit the file?

I guess some people had problems with the program not saving the file in the correct format..

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm using text editor on my Mac to edit the octopi-network.txt

After I edit the file and fire everything up I see wlan0 Not Associated even though I put my SSID in there. In their infante wisdom for the Octopi version they left out the GUI wifi configuration tool which doesn't make sense to me why they would do that.