Stops at random points in the middle of the print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jimc

Re: Stops at random points in the middle of the print

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Look at the other thred where we were talking about this. I posted a wifi config tool there

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Got the tool up but it doesn't appear to be working, won't scan, won't do anything.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm done. I've wasted too much of your time and about 5 hours of mine on this stupid OctoPi thing. I'll just buy a new Mac Mini to run my printer and take my new high dollar, super fast, case designed by BMW Windows 10 machine out to the shooting range and put a couple hundred 7.62x39 rounds though it... (just kidding). I have a door that won't stay open so I can use it for that. F me...

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:03 pm

dklassen wrote:I'm done. I've wasted too much of your time and about 5 hours of mine on this stupid OctoPi thing. I'll just buy a new Mac Mini to run my printer and take my new high dollar, super fast, case designed by BMW Windows 10 machine out to the shooting range and put a couple hundred 7.62x39 rounds though it... (just kidding). I have a door that won't stay open so I can use it for that. F me...
My take exactly on the whole Win10 fiasco.....target practice. :( :evil:

Sorry to hear it though......don't know why they can't leave a barely functioning thing alone.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:23 pm

dklassen wrote:take my new high dollar, super fast, case designed by BMW Windows 10 machine out to the shooting range and put a couple hundred 7.62x39 rounds though it...
No, no, no, . . . Such a nice machine deserved to have Linux put on it in the first place, and will always run much better whenever you decide to do it. . .

But, apart from snarky comments about Windows vs. Linux, . . . Am I the only one getting random stops in the middle of a print when not using Windows 10? The comment up at the top of the thread claims that it can happen during an SD card print.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:34 pm

I personally like windows 10. Except for the mail app and this usb freeze issue its really the only problem i have with it. With that said, if almost every software out didnt require windows then i would probably be using linux.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Tim wrote:
dklassen wrote:take my new high dollar, super fast, case designed by BMW Windows 10 machine out to the shooting range and put a couple hundred 7.62x39 rounds though it...
No, no, no, . . . Such a nice machine deserved to have Linux put on it in the first place, and will always run much better whenever you decide to do it. . .

But, apart from snarky comments about Windows vs. Linux, . . . Am I the only one getting random stops in the middle of a print when not using Windows 10? The comment up at the top of the thread claims that it can happen during an SD card print.
I've had a couple....but they were mechanical.....stupid filament knotted itself on the spool. Other than that, S3D has more or less behaved itself. (And I don't use Windows 10 either.)

How often is it hitting?

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Jules wrote:How often is it hitting?
I need to occasionally repeat that my setup is almost entirely different from everyone else's, and that raises the possibility of my problem being unrelated to everyone else's, even if the symptoms appear to be the same.

But, disregarding that. . .

I first had the problem around the same time that I updated to Simplify3D 3.0.2. This was when I was finding bad behavior with respect to Simplify3D's way of doing dual extruder skirts and the handoff between the two extruders, particularly at startup. I printed my two-color dice designs, and found that the four-sided die would stop printing about halfway through. After that, I printed numerous single-color designs, dual-color tests of my twin extruder project, and the ditto printing test, all without incident. Then a couple of weeks ago, I printed two dual-color designs that stopped dead several times on the first layer or two. That was when I found that I could avoid the problem by a quick pause-resume sequence. Doing that, both prints would stop at random times, maybe ten times or so per print. Most of those were early on in the print, on the first few layers, but not always.

There are too many variables to pin the problem on any one thing, yet. . .

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:How often is it hitting?
I need to occasionally repeat that my setup is almost entirely different from everyone else's, and that raises the possibility of my problem being unrelated to everyone else's, even if the symptoms appear to be the same.

But, disregarding that. . .

I first had the problem around the same time that I updated to Simplify3D 3.0.2. This was when I was finding bad behavior with respect to Simplify3D's way of doing dual extruder skirts and the handoff between the two extruders, particularly at startup. I printed my two-color dice designs, and found that the four-sided die would stop printing about halfway through. After that, I printed numerous single-color designs, dual-color tests of my twin extruder project, and the ditto printing test, all without incident. Then a couple of weeks ago, I printed two dual-color designs that stopped dead several times on the first layer or two. That was when I found that I could avoid the problem by a quick pause-resume sequence. Doing that, both prints would stop at random times, maybe ten times or so per print. Most of those were early on in the print, on the first few layers, but not always.

There are too many variables to pin the problem on any one thing, yet. . .
I remember yours is different, but if it's possible that it's an S3D issue, I want to keep an eye out for it too. :?

i have noticed mine having a slightly scanty startup on new layers, but that was deliberately introduced (by me) with a negative flow to try to offset that globbing business that now shows up. After a while, mine generally starts extruding again....but it's making a bit of a mess - particularly on that skirt and first layer - they're not nearly as neat as they used to be. (I'll be working to fine tune it, but it would help if I knew what was causing the blob.)

Did they update S3D v3.02 a while back?

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Here's something interesting. I disabled all the Windows power management for the USB port device drivers and replaced the USB cable. Been printing for 3 hours with no pauses. Hum...