Crack in extruder motor holder

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
rjfrank

Crack in extruder motor holder

Post by rjfrank » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Ok,
I've been doing a lot of ABS printing recently (see pic
IMG_1852.JPG
Mininuke
) and have been very happy with the results. However, just today, I can't seem to be able to print a part (motor mount for a flying towel plane) that I have printed successfully 3-4 times previous. The print starts ok (there are some "squiggles" in some of the raft lines I don't normally see), but about an 1/8" or so into the print, I seem to get an XY shift in the print and I have to abort (see pics
IMG_1855.JPG
Shift top
IMG_1857.JPG
shift side
). When I looked at the print head, it was not very tight in the holder and could rotate w/o much force being applied. I assume it should be a tight fit, correct (at least so I cannot rotate the head by hand)? So I went to tighten the fit and there are cracks in the printed holder (see pic
IMG_1845.JPG
Crack
). I assume I need a replacement part, correct? How do I go about that? Is there any way I can keep printing in the meantime (I'm in a bit of a time crunch with this one)?

Thanks

Spotopolis

Re: Crack in extruder motor holder

Post by Spotopolis » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Mine did that too after accidentally colliding with one of the binder clips. I used a couple of zip ties to cinch it down so I could print a new one, but you have to really pull them tight with pliers. It worked long enough to print two new mounts and was still tight when I replaced it.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Yes, just do whatever you can to remedy the situation long enough to make another one. Epoxy should work, too.

https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/blob/ma ... t%20r3.STL
I'm assuming you have a v3b extruder.

This mount looks different from how I remember it.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I've super glued some of the plastic bits back together and it's worked just long enough to print new pieces but if you want a more permanent fix I'd recommend the Metal Extruder Mount Upgrade I just put them on both my printers and they are rock solid now.

-Steve

rjfrank

Post by rjfrank » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful! Hopefully I'll have a replacement built this evening...