Cleaning Nozzle and Inconsistent Flow/Filament Wraps Upward

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jdlev

Cleaning Nozzle and Inconsistent Flow/Filament Wraps Upward

Post by jdlev » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Guys,

Have an issue with my M2. During the printing, the filament is wrapping upward back towards the nozzle and sometimes getting stuck. I'm not sure what would cause that? The nozzle has some buildup on it which only makes matters worse.

A) What should I use to clean the nozzle? I'm not sure if acetone is safe for brass or not?

B) There is some plastic that has become adhered to the V4 extruder - around the ceramic tape part (the black part...I think it's ceramic tape, but not sure). What should I use to clean that?

C) Do you guys ever remove the nozzle itself for cleaning...what do you use that's small enough to fit in the .35mm opening without harming it?

D) I've tried finding a spec sheet that gives me the optimal settings for the M2 based on what I was printing, but haven't really found anything worthwhile. I'm talking about everything from layer height to speed to filament type, etc. If you guys will list the various settings you've used in the past, I don't mind building a spreadsheet with the optimal settings for various prints.

wmgeorge

Re: Cleaning Nozzle and Inconsistent Flow/Filament Wraps Upw

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:43 pm

For nozzle wiping I use a green Scotchbrite pad, found in Housewares at your local super market for cleaning pots and pans.Also at home improvement stores. Wipe while hot, wear glove so you don't burn your fingers. When the filament is curling like that the nozzle needs a good wipe.

Settings? I just use the default in Simplify 3D to start and go from there.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

insta

Post by insta » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Check the various stickies, there's only a handful of forums. I actually groom them, and they are chock full of guides and tips.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Never thought of a scotchbrite pad - I'll have to give that a try! :D

Yeah, the buildup on the nozzle is what causes the filament to wrap back up and cause more buildup on the nozzle. :?

I just use the tweezers to remove any goop from the nozzle as it's cooling off, if I happen to be there when it finishes up. It's not as easy to get everything off with it, but it's usually what's on hand.

Some filaments tend to curl up and stick to the nozzle worse than others (PETG is terrible). For those I just stand by for the purge and catch it with the tweezers. And i do clean as much charred PETG off that nozzle before printing, because it will flake off into your next print if you don't.

For V4 removal and cleaning:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2942

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:47 pm

A. For the outside you can use a wire brush. I soak mine nozzles in acetone all the time and haven't had any issues.

B. Not sure on this one I haven't had that happen. (I bought extra though because I rip mine all the time pulling it off the hot nozzle.)

C. Yes... I remove mine if it clogs. I dunk it in acetone overnight (works great for ABS anyway) spare nozzles are good to have so you can get back to printing. If it's really bad I hold it with pliers and hit it with a blow torch for a few seconds.

You can use Drill Bit Part# 2841A85 from Mcmaster-Carr to clean out any bad clogs but they are very fragile. (some people use a guitar string, not sure the size)

What I do now most of the time instead of using the drill bit is... I take a piece of cleaning filament and light the tip on fire with a lighter and while its still flaming just jam it in the back of the nozzle, let it cool a bit and then rip it out. (this is just like doing a cold pull) I do this a few times and it pulls all the old crap out of the nozzle. You should be able to see a tiny piece sticking out on the blob that you remove indicating the tip of the nozzle is clean.

D. See instas "filaments that work on the M2" thread for starters

jdlev

Post by jdlev » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Nice idea on the guitar strings! I'll definitely be sure to give that a shot :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 pm

To clean the exterior i havse been using a wire brush now for years. If you go in home depot tool section where the welding stuff is there are mini wire brushes with wood handles. Bristles are brass or stainless. I have a stainless one. I give the nozzle a quick brush before every print.