Glass cracked during leveling

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
alackofcolor

Glass cracked during leveling

Post by alackofcolor » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:19 pm

So I was leveling my new Makergear M2 according to the instructions in the Quick Start app when I heard a loud crack, which upon inspection was caused by one of the allen screws driving into the glass plate and breaking the corner off. Looking at it closer, I noticed that unlike the other three corners, the top left screw is not underneath the hot plate, but off to the corner which caused it to move unimpeded into the glass plate (see picture). Is this a defect, or am I missing something?
Screw Top Left.JPG

Hugs

Re: Glass cracked during leveling

Post by Hugs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:26 pm

This looks like a question for MG.

Looking at your picture and looking at my Rev. E, there would have been *no way* for me to put the aluminum plate on the spider like that out of the box. The allen screw is all the way up and wedged between the plate and the corner brace.

Where did you buy it? Directly from MG?

(@Mods, would this be better served if moved to the Tech Support sub?)

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Yeah, the little screws are what the heated bed plate sits on, and they are used to level the heated bed plate. The glass goes on top of the HBP, so it should not contact the screw at all.

What happened is your HBP is not centered evenly on the screws, you have it pushed too far forward towards the front rubber bumpers.

1. Do yourself a big favor and lower that screw back down before you re-level. (The machines ship essentially level, and they stay that way through shipping, so you should not have raised it that much....the bed is now very un-level. :( )

2. Center the HBP over the screws, then put the glass on it for leveling.

3. If the damage to the glass is minimal, you should still be able to use it. (Printing doesn't happen at the very edges and corners.) You need to decide if you want to contact MakerGear about a replacement....if there isn't a crack in the plate, it should be fine, but we haven't seen the damage, and don't know how much of the corner broke off.

You haven't damaged anything critical. ;)
Last edited by Jules on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Hugs wrote:.....Looking at your picture and looking at my Rev. E, there would have been *no way* for me to put the aluminum plate on the spider like that out of the box. The allen screw is all the way up and wedged between the plate and the corner brace.
Not sure....I think i could - there's just a little play with the sizing of the plate....if I really torqued the screw and had the plate pushed tight forward towards the diametrically opposite corner, that might be possible. Those screws are very thin. (And hard to see because they're black.) Probably depends on how much rounding of the corners there is on the particular plate. (Mine looks hand-rounded. His actually looks less rounded than mine in the picture.)

(Not going to test it though. ) :P

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:07 am

i just checked mine. i pushed the hbp all the way into each corner and it wont slip off the screw. its close. if moved to the extreme in any way the hbp corner edge splits the set screw right in the middle. i dont have the mg corner brackets though. i have mine on there which might be a little tighter, not sure. the hbp could be just a hair small. it wouldnt take much. if mg is still using the rubber corners then its also possible the plate really got pushed back into the rubber, flexing it and making the hbp slip off the setscrew.