Random Layer skip during print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
3DbyCB

Random Layer skip during print

Post by 3DbyCB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm

During some of my prints I get what seems like a random layer skip on certain parts of the model. I am using hatchbox pla filament. Whats odd is it doesn't happen on all of the "islands" that are being printed. One side of the object looks fine and when you turn to the other side you see a gap. I've attached a phone to show what is happening. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_2852.JPG

wmgeorge

Re: Random Layer skip during print

Post by wmgeorge » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Is that a ThingVerse or similar download? Sometimes those 3D models are not completely printable.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:01 pm

You should check the gcode preview to see if the gap shows up in the sliced model. If it does, try running it through a repair program before slicing. This one works well: https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net

3DbyCB

Post by 3DbyCB » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Is that a ThingVerse or similar download? Sometimes those 3D models are not completely printable.

Yes it is a Thingiverse download, but i know that it is printable as I've made about 10 of these for family and friends and it doesn't show up on all of them and when the skip does occur its not always in the same place. Sometimes it can be on layer 20 and others around layer 200.

You should check the gcode preview to see if the gap shows up in the sliced model. If it does, try running it through a repair program before slicing. This one works well: https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net

When looking in the gcode preview it doesn't show any missed layers. I stepped through it layer by layer. Before I started printing these I ran the model through netfab and did not show where it needed any repairs.

All other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Is the filament diameter uniform? (Filament diameter swung up/down a little in that spot and it stopped extruding?) Filament tangle on the spool? Partial clog? (Do you run a filament Dust Catcher?) Filament Drive Screw tension correct? Speeds correct?

Do you see anything happening when it hits one of those spots?

Could be any of those things. Might want to try a different filament, slow it down, increase the extruder temp by a few degrees, (3) and/or clean out the nozzle.

You know....the usual list of suspects. :)