Anyone figured out how to fix the Win10 print stall issue?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Anyone figured out how to fix the Win10 print stall issue?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:05 pm

I just switched from Mac to PC after nearly a decade of only using a mac and only remembered people having problems with having to "force next" when their prints stall when printing with s3d in windows 10. Has anyone sorted this issue out yet?

ryaneb85

Re: Anyone figured out how to fix the Win10 print stall issu

Post by ryaneb85 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:16 pm

I use Windows 10 and don't have any problems. Are you referring to it pausing for a finite amount of time while printing via USB?

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 pm

A print will halt and stay there seemingly until I press the "force next" button and then its good from there. I've never let it sit longer than maybe ten seconds so I dont know how long it would sit there before it would resume, or IF it would.

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm

I did see that when I was printing via USB, but I don't think it's necessarily specific to Windows 10. I think it happens on most versions of Windows whenever it gets "distracted" by another process, i.e. connecting/disconnecting another peripheral. It does eventually restart, but not before leaving a big blob on your print from where it has been sitting for quite some time.

I just stopped printing via USB and went to SD card and/or Octoprint.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Jeremy, no fix. You cant print via usb.

Ryan, yes background processes can cause a pause but this is a completely different issue. This is just a win10 issue. The print will freeze and will not restart unless you force next

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:26 am

Change power management for USB to never turn off. Or alternatively set power scheme to high power use mode. And lastly launch windows media player and loop a music track. Seems to work....however octoprint on a raspberry pi seems more reasonable...or print from sd. You can reliably print long prints from a windows machine but the extra steps usually outweigh the need to stay connected and not just print from SD card.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions Jim and PcS, I really like the ability to control my prints through USB especially with flow rates and things like that. I also monitor my printing when I'm not home via a remote desktop app on my phone, a webcam, and a smart outlet. Not being able to control the print through S3D puts a bit of a damper on that process. Hopefully someone figures out the root of the issue soon :cry:

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Octoprint would allow you to do all those things for a 35 dollar investment if you have a spare sd card.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:10 pm

Reviving the print stall issue debate. . .

While looking at the boneheaded one-star review on Amazon that Rick mentioned, I noticed that the "top critical review" on Amazon gives the M2 three stars and says they would give it four except for the issue with "stops in mid-print". At the same time, Simplify3D just came out with version 3.1 claiming improvements in USB communication. I'm pretty sure that the "stops in mid-print" is mainly the fault of Simplify3D. . . does the new update fix the problem? It sounds more like a hacked-in patch, really, in which they basically monitor the communication channel and detect when it has gone dead. There is some suggestion that the problem is caused by a bad thermistor, but it seems to me that Simplify3D implemented some temperature monitoring thing and decided that it's a good idea to halt the print whenever something unusual is detected from the thermistor. But I'm suspicious that "thermistor glitches" may be a fairly normal behavior for thermistors, even ones that are supposedly working just fine (which could be a hardware issue, or firmware, or software, or communications issue), and this is why so many people are suddenly experiencing these print stalls.

Intermittent errors are always hard to track down. The proof is if anyone encounters a print stall while using Simplify3D 3.1. Post if you do.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:21 pm

tim, I posted on the s3d forum the other day concerning this. I have never been able to do a usb print with windows 10 without stall within the first 5 minutes. I have tried about 4 prints now and out of nowhere I get no freeze up. now this is also pre s3d 3.1. I was using 3.0.2. it obviously wasn't an s3d fix at that point so I was wondering if Microsoft suddenly fixed the issue. I no longer run insider preview builds. I am running the latest stable build. there are a few topics on the insider program forum which concern the freeze up and its not just s3d. its basically communications with arduinos. there were people posting there with the issue that don't even have 3d printers. I believe there is something with s3d though that makes it sensitive to the issue and why it pops up with that software and not others.