Y-Axis can't find zero right

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Toby

Re: Y-Axis can't find zero right

Post by Toby » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 am

Just troubleshooting suggestions to try to narrow down what is happening. These questions aren't specific to anything I have in mind, just trying to get more clues. As it is the behavior is so odd given there's no mechanical explanation for the z-stop being triggered.

I can't tell from your video, is the endstop led coming on even when the bed stops early?

If you start with Y in the home position, jog forward 250.1 (say), then jog 10 mm at a time back to home, does it ever trip the end switch along the way?

What happens to the readout of the y position when this happens? Does it just jump from wherever it is to zero?

What does it read when you continue to home and it moves back some more? I mean, does it go negative and then jump up to zero?
Last edited by Toby on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 pm

May or may not be relevant to your issue: http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtop ... 3&start=40

Jetguy claims that EMI can trigger false positives for the end stop, and gives some electrical suggestions to mitigate the problem.

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 pm

jsc wrote:May or may not be relevant to your issue: http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtop ... 3&start=40

Jetguy claims that EMI can trigger false positives for the end stop, and gives some electrical suggestions to mitigate the problem.
No I tried printrun it's the same.
@toby I try that on friday I'm on the road.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 pm

If you have an EMI issue, it would occur no matter what host you are using. That is an electrical issue.

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Toby wrote:Just troubleshooting suggestions to try to narrow down what is happening. These questions aren't specific to anything I have in mind, just trying to get more clues. As it is the behavior is so odd given there's no mechanical explanation for the z-stop being triggered.
Toby wrote:I can't tell from your video, is the endstop led coming on even when the bed stops early?
I can't tell either there is no led. I used a multimeter no reading stay's at 0.00V
Toby wrote:If you start with Y in the home position, jog forward 250.1 (say), then jog 10 mm at a time back to home, does it ever trip the end switch along the way?
No everything is free.
Toby wrote:What happens to the readout of the y position when this happens? Does it just jump from wherever it is to zero?
As soon as you hit the home button the readout goes to zero and stays there no change after hitting home again.
Toby wrote:What does it read when you continue to home and it moves back some more? I mean, does it go negative and then jump up to zero?
No it does not go into negative.
@jsc
I tried what I could from the S3D Forum like new wire, disconnecting after hitting home (still stop sometimes) nothing helps.

Any other ideas? I probably try my RUMBA board over eastern see what happens.

Michael

Toby

Post by Toby » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 am

Still pretty confusing. I didn't realize S3D just sets the position based on where it's supposed to end up, not based on where it is as its moving. So that wasn't very helpful. Sorry about that. Ditto for the (non-existent) led being on or off.

There are two M-commands that might help figure out what the firmware believes the state of the system is when it stops early:

M119; sends endstop status to serial port

M114; outputs current position to serial port.

This might help determine if the problem is in the firmware. Have you changed the firmware at all?

I'm a bit out of my depth I'm afraid- basically just poking around trying to get some clue of which part of the system is in error. If anyone more knowledgeable comes along, listen to them!

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

M119; sends endstop status to serial port
At 250mm = RECEIVED: x_min:L x_max:L y_min:H y_max:L z_min:L z_max:L
At 0 mm = RECEIVED: x_min:L x_max:L y_min:L y_max:L z_min:L z_max:L
M114; outputs current position to serial port.
At 1mm = RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:1.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:1.00Z:0.00
At 250 mm = RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:250.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:250.00Z:0.00
At 0 and when ever it stops in between = RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00

I think there is something else wrong I had yesterday a few Bed temperature drops from 96 to 45 and back.

Michael

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 pm

wait a minute.. the y endstop is triggered at y=250? that's backwards, right? it should be at y=0. that's how it is on mine. ditto for x and z.

what is the endstop reading when the bed stops early?

wish we could get a continuous readout of the y position as it travels from y=250 to home and stops early. just to see what it does, could you try homing in y and when it stop early, get a readout and verify y=0 according to the firmware. then jog it closer to home and take another readout of the position. it can't weasel out of it! it has to show a negative value!

if it were me i'd probably re-install the firmware in the rambo and see if that helps.

otherwise it seems like you have an electrical poltergeist. did you have to install the static electricity fix from a few months ago? hard to believe the board could get messed up by that and still function at all, but i don't know.

given more things like the temps acting odd, maybe it's time to contact makergear customer support?

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Toby wrote:

what is the endstop reading when the bed stops early?
RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00
wish we could get a continuous readout of the y position as it travels from y=250 to home and stops early. just to see what it does, could you try homing in y and when it stop early, get a readout and verify y=0 according to the firmware. then jog it closer to home and take another readout of the position. it can't weasel out of it! it has to show a negative value!
Stoped after roughly 10mm X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00
First jog -100 RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:-100.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:-100.00Z:0.00
Second jog with -10mm steps ended with-240 at endstop switch. RECEIVED: X:0.00Y:-240.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X:0.00Y:-240.00Z:0.00
if it were me i'd probably re-install the firmware in the rambo and see if that helps.

Already did I used "M2Marlinx1619V"
otherwise it seems like you have an electrical poltergeist. did you have to install the static electricity fix from a few months ago? hard to believe the board could get messed up by that and still function at all, but i don't know.
No I'm running 12V/19V bricks and no LCD plain stock + V3b hotend 12V/40W
given more things like the temps acting odd, maybe it's time to contact makergear customer support?
I'll get MG Support involved I let you know the outcome.

Michael

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Michael,

Could you post the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files that were used when you compiled the firmware? We can look at the axis and switch settings and see if there's a problem there. (Shouldn't be, but you never know till you check....) I think there's also a file called "pins.h" that defines which pins on the microcontroller do what -- that would help as well. Zip them all together and post the zip. (Forum won't let most file types be attached, but .ZIP is OK.)

Thanks!!!
Dale