PLA suddenly not sticking to the build plate

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
shinigami

PLA suddenly not sticking to the build plate

Post by shinigami » Sat May 07, 2016 1:56 am

I have successfully printed several things using PLA but now suddenly it doesn't stick to the bed. Attached is a picture. I am using Simplify 3D with a heated bed temperature of 60C and an extruder temperature of 225C. I previously used the same setting to print hours of stuff. The filament I am using is Inland PLA (both green and blue). I've cleaned the heated bed using rubbing alcohol and I have calibrated the bed level at least twice. The problem seems to be that the PLA is simply not adhering to the bed... when it is laid down it remains sufficiently loose that the extruder is able to drag around the PLA and pull it off the bed.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Jules

Re: PLA suddenly not sticking to the build plate

Post by Jules » Sat May 07, 2016 5:38 am

I think that's being caused by your particular model.

It looks like the model has some overhangs at the top, and the support is getting dragged across the skirt. You've got the nozzle set pretty close to the bed - when the support is printing, it's hitting the skirt, and pulling up.

Couple of things - you can try moving your skirt out so that it prints outside of the area where the support is printing. Or you can try increasing the gap just a hair by resetting the Starting Height, so that the nozzle is not smashing the filament into a flat ribbon. Either one will probably help it to stick.

You can reset the Starting Height without going through the whole Leveling process using the Z-Adjust App:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666

Also, after a while, most folks realize that plain tape needs a little hairspray or adhesive to keep the print anchored. (Same as for bare glass.)

Print the PLA at 60° bed temp and 205°-210° extruder temp. (It needs to cool off faster.)

shinigami

Re: PLA suddenly not sticking to the build plate

Post by shinigami » Sat May 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try these. If they do not work, I will post a video because I certainly appreciate the advice!

I am perplexed why its suddenly become a problem though. I printed a good ~30 hours worth of parts without this problem. It suddenly began manifesting itself once I switched the filament. To be clear, I have used these filaments before... so its not that it had not worked previously. But what I mean is that it only appeared after I went from one color (which worked well) to another color (which previously worked well).