LCD screen user manual?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
SouthSideofdaSky

LCD screen user manual?

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi all,

Been awhile since I've posted here. My company now has a pair of M2's both running smoothly. One is the older kind (purchased in 2014) and the other is the new Rev E.

We have purchased the LCD screen upgrade for both machines (the latest one, i.e. http://www.makergear.com/products/lcd-screen )

While the screen is very convenient, it did not seem to come with any instructions and I have been unable to find the instruction manual online. There are a couple settings I would like to tweak but I'm not 100% sure how to. Is there an instruction manual available somewhere? I checked the MakerGear site, wiki, and this forum and haven't been able to dig one up.

Thanks!

Jules

Re: LCD screen user manual?

Post by Jules » Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm

I only know about the Wiki for it: http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-lcd-panel

Or you could do a search for LCD screen in the forum, to see what the other guys ran into. :)

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Tue May 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Whoops, I forgot about this myself. :)

Thanks for the reply Jules. I did look at that Wiki page and I wasn't able to find anything here, which surprised me.

What I am trying to do specifically is this. There is functionality built into the LCD screen interface to change the filament mid-print. When I select this option, the extruder moves off to the side on its own and retracts the filament out so I can swap it for a new reel, etc. Then when I hit the LCD button again, the extruder moves back to where it left off and starts extruding/printing again.

That's pretty nice other than one little thing: It moves back to the print without extruding any of the new filament first (just to be clear, yes this means I have to chase the extruder around with my hand for a couple of seconds to make sure the filament is captured by the extruder gear). So since it takes a few revolutions of the extruder gear for filament to start coming out of the nozzle, I get a gap in the print. I was wondering if it was possible to tweak a setting somewhere to add a purge into this pause function and eliminate the gap.

Is anyone else using the LCD screen and this functionality? Obviously not a major issue but wondering if there is anyone out there who has figured out a way around this.

Thanks!

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue May 31, 2016 5:17 pm

We know about the filament extrusion problem - (that isn't limited to the LCD screen use) - it requires an extra code in the Pause G-code to zero out the extruder. (G92 E0 ; zero extruder)

Steve did a thread on Pausing the print here - the codes he uses are corrected for that extrusion/retraction problem. :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2132

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Exactly. I think what I need to do is implement the code in that thread, into the screen program's pause routine. What I'm not sure of is how that can be done. If it's not an easy setting included in the interface, I might have to put on my programming hat and dive into the firmware files. 8-)