Z motor problems HELP

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Explorer71

Z motor problems HELP

Post by Explorer71 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:07 pm

I just went to use my MakerGear M2 Dual again after it messed up a print last night. It started to raise the build table, made a terrible screaming grinding noise and went back down to the bottom. It sounds like the motor and/or drive gear is stripped. Has anyone else had this problem or has insight into what the problem is and how to fix it?

Tim

Re: Z motor problems HELP

Post by Tim » Sat May 21, 2016 5:20 pm

What is the model of M2 (or rather, when did you get it)? Early models of the M2 have a Z stage motor that is not designed for the current running through it (wrong winding resistance). It gets very hot when running (when turned on; it doesn't even have to be moving to get hot), and running hot greatly reduces its lifetime. The worst case is when one of those motors is subjected to a 12V/19V-to-24V upgrade. It has been the experience of several of us that the 24V upgrade will kill the motor within a few months.

If that is your problem, then unfortunately there's not much to be done about it other than to replace the Z-stage motor and screw. You will have to contact MakerGear support for that.

Explorer71

Post by Explorer71 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:48 pm

I got the printer back in July of 2014. A birthday present to myself :-)

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 pm

you need to clean and oil your rails then grease the z-screw. too much resistance from these parts, coupled with the weight of the bed will cause the z stepper to lose a step and drop the bed making a grinding noise.

to be sure this is the case, home your z again but lift gently on the bottom of the z stage to relieve some of the weight, it should make it to the top

Use 3-in-1 oil for the z rails
Use Lithium Grease for the screw.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Explorer71 wrote:I got the printer back in July of 2014.
I thought they switched to the correct Z-stage motors mid-2013, but I'm not sure. If it gets hot to the touch when the machine is running, then you have the old motor. To be certain, measure the resistance between pins 1 and 3 or between pins 4 and 6 of the connector. If it's ~3 ohms, it's the newer motor; if it's ~20 ohms, it's the old motor (the current motor MakerGear is using, which is all black, I don't know much of anything about).

Sometimes cleaning and oiling like Matt suggests will keep it working for a while, but if the motor is really going south, that will only be a short-term solution.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun May 22, 2016 12:06 am

What is the difference in the black z axis and the silver one I put in to replace the one I had that ran hot . (New 2012)

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun May 22, 2016 1:11 am

Different number of steps? (I think.)
Do know the black motors just came out on the recent D and E models.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun May 22, 2016 1:55 am

I have 2 of these printers that are of the same generation as OP. I know for a fact that the casual neglect of cleaning those parts cause this symptom. nothing that a quick application of oil an grease cannot fix.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun May 22, 2016 2:21 am

Matt_Sharkey wrote:I have 2 of these printers that are of the same generation as OP. I know for a fact that the casual neglect of cleaning those parts cause this symptom. nothing that a quick application of oil an grease cannot fix.
Well, clearly if you obstruct the Z stage, like putting on a knob lock and forgetting to take it off, the Z motor will slip rather than self-destruct, so it makes sense that enough binding due to lack of oiling/greasing/general care & maintenance can cause the same slippage. That it has never happened to me (with the 3 ohm winding motor) probably is an indication that I'm a bit obsessive about oiling the rods.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun May 22, 2016 3:59 am

Tim wrote: That it has never happened to me (with the 3 ohm winding motor) probably is an indication that I'm a bit obsessive about oiling the rods.
Yeah I have a feeling that this is an issue that isn't experienced by many users here, most of you are pretty meticulous about your maintenance. I know that I'm horrible at taking care of my toys, which gives me the ability to bring a "unique perspective"