First time issue; esun natural PETG clogging extruder

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KaiborgStudios

First time issue; esun natural PETG clogging extruder

Post by KaiborgStudios » Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 pm

Background info:

Currently using jimc's esun petg profile (thanks jim!). Have printed a full spool of esun black without a hitch. When I switched to natural recently, I printed a 12 hour print without an issue. I fired up the second print, similarly sized, and have has extruder clogs with increasing frequency. It started every 50 layers or so, and now happen every 5 layers or so.

I've tried q-tip cleaning the heated extruder, brass wire brush scrubbing the end of the extruder. Running cleaning filament (Always run between switching filament types). Haven't tried simply switching back to black to see if that solves the issue.

I'm stumped!

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Re: First time issue; esun natural PETG clogging extruder

Post by Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 pm

It might be that you need to run the natural at a higher temperature; go up to 245 to 250 if you need to.

Jams are more likely to happen if it's a large print or print with tall walls or overhangs; something that tends to warp upward or detach from the plate. The surface of the print pushing upward against the nozzle can quickly cause a jam. You may have gotten lucky with the first print, maybe it warps less or stuck to the bed better. Preventing warping is the best thing you can do to prevent jams.

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Tue May 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Tim wrote:It might be that you need to run the natural at a higher temperature; go up to 245 to 250 if you need to.

Jams are more likely to happen if it's a large print or print with tall walls or overhangs; something that tends to warp upward or detach from the plate. The surface of the print pushing upward against the nozzle can quickly cause a jam. You may have gotten lucky with the first print, maybe it warps less or stuck to the bed better. Preventing warping is the best thing you can do to prevent jams.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give the higher temp a shot! I noticed that the first jam was due to a lifted corner. I just don't understand why it's not clogging only a few layers into a brand new print, there's no way it could be due to lifting at that point.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 am

Jams also occur with PETG when attempting to print too quickly, especially if you have specified an extrusion multiplier for infill. The increased extrusion speed just builds up too much pressure for the gear and it strips. What speeds are you running?

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:50 am

UPDATE:
Happened again despite raising temps to 255. Got about 25% through the print before jamming. Including some pictures. No lifting had occurred on the print. The retracted filament looks all kinked up, and the filament at the tip had turned an opaque white.
20160531_184459.jpg
20160531_184511.jpg
Last edited by KaiborgStudios on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:53 am

jsc wrote:Jams also occur with PETG when attempting to print too quickly, especially if you have specified an extrusion multiplier for infill. The increased extrusion speed just builds up too much pressure for the gear and it strips. What speeds are you running?
63.3mm/s

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:18 am

Try 53 mm/s. (And check your filament drive screw tension.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:35 am

yeah im with jules. check your tension isnt too tight. you could be squishing that into a oval shape making it tight in the filament path.