Does 1st layer temp vs 2nd layer temp make a difference?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
mw8020

Does 1st layer temp vs 2nd layer temp make a difference?

Post by mw8020 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 am

Another newb start layer Q. Getting good prints/starts with makergear stl's (i.e. bigfoots & bracelets), thingiverse not so much (am sure they vary from file to file - generally am trying to print things recommended from exp members here). For now, trying to print:

- 7mm wrench for z screw adjustment: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53870
- This is what happens (1:20 vid): https://vimeo.com/97622562 (not sure which is worse: my video productions skills or 3d printing - think the latter)
- Other info: PLA 1.75mm (makergear), Bed: 75 1st layer/65 2nd layer, Extruder: 215
- Temp layer settings in latest ver of S3D:
S3D_tempsettings_layers.jpg
1st layer vs 2nd layer temp settings
S3D_tempsettings_layers.jpg (189.5 KiB) Viewed 7075 times
ps - should I have posted this Q here or in general discussion? thnx mark.

jimc

Re: Does 1st layer temp vs 2nd layer temp make a difference?

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:15 am

well the idea is that the plastic is hotter for first layer to help it stick to the build plate better then you can cool it down a bit. just what you doing there in your process is pretty normal. alot of people seem to do it and there is really nothing wrong with that. your problem in the video is that your printing waaay too far from the bed. your z-height adjustment is to big. you need to adjust the stop bolt to bring the bed closer to the nozzle. some people use paper or a business card for the spacing. i use a feeler gauge and set the gap to .005". yes general discussion would probably been the place to put this but i think that ok.

mw8020

Post by mw8020 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:08 am

jimc wrote:your problem in the video is that your printing waaay too far from the bed. your z-height adjustment is to big. you need to adjust the stop bolt to bring the bed closer to the nozzle
Thanks Jim - yes I can see now that gap is way bigger than a biz card/paper altho I will use feeler gauges to get it precise. Aside from the fact that I'm afraid to touch the machine, I mistakenly thought SD3 would do it all for me with the bed-leveling wizard with this setting:
S3D_bed_leveling_wizard.jpg
S3D_bed_leveling_wizard.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
I will use the manual: "Bed Leveling and Z-height Adjustment Methods" here from Toby: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12

ps - thnx for heads up on forum cat posting - probably got a few more silly Q's to go until I get up and running so I will post in general discussions ;)

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:12 am

i havent used the bed lvl wizard in a very long time so i dont even remember how the thing works. once you get the leveling close and your z-height close then download this file i made. it might help you out.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:180970

mw8020

Post by mw8020 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 am

I knew I put that in my 'likes' on thingiverse for a reason lol - thnx once again.