Print stops (incomplete) after 20+ hrs...need help

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
scampa123

Print stops (incomplete) after 20+ hrs...need help

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:47 am

Hey gang,

I'm trying to print some brackets at 100% infill in PETG and the print job takes 24+ hrs.

I've tried to print these a couple of times and each time the print stops/fails before completion.

Any way to determine what is going on?

I'm kicking off the print via S3D, using print from SD card (SD in printer). I've tried different SD cards. S3D continues running on my PC (Win10)...

Not sure what to do here...There is no log or anything to check...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Tim

Re: Print stops (incomplete) after 20+ hrs...need help

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:56 am

This could be a great test---upgrade to Simplify3D 3.1 (which was released yesterday) and try again.

It is my belief that Simplify3D can, and does, manage to halt prints that are printing from the SD card because it is still sending commands for temperature monitoring through the USB and does some kind of glitchy thing on the USB that the printer thinks is a pause command. Or something like that. Pure speculation. But in any case, the release notes for 3.1 have strong hints that they have done something about it. . .

Since you have it on an SD card (and assuming you don't have an LCD panel), the other choice is to use another tool like Pronterface to intiate the SD card print, and/or do this from a machine that is not running Windows 10. But I have my fingers crossed that S3D v. 3.1 is the solution. . .

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:09 am

I am running the latest version of S3D and I saw the notes about USB enhancements as well. After my first attempt failed, I was hoping the update would help..but obviously it didn't. I will say my second attempt got further along but did not complete.

I am not running a LCD anymore...

I wish there was a way to tell the printer to run from SD and then run from SD directly without a computer connected...I guess that is what the LCD did but I thought that was kinda the point with S3D print from SD...but you are correct that S3D maintains a connection and continues to print to the screen in the machine control panel...

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:17 am

I thought that once you started a print from the SD card using S3D, you could then disconnect the USB cable and sever the connection. The print should continue uninterrupted.

(Might want to test it on a smaller file.)

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:22 am

I'll have to test that tomorrow...I just posted over to S3D's forum as well...

I hope you are correct Jules...that would at least determine if it is S3D or the printer itself having an issue...one piece of the puzzle!

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 am

Okay I'm impatient...

I restarted the print...I waited for it to start and then pulled the USB cable...So far it is still running....ill post back my results....fingers crossed, I hope this works!

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:10 am

yes once you start an sd print you have a few min or so to disconnect the usb cable. at that point it will just run off usb. for the usb enhancements in s3d to take effect to you need to go into tools/firmware config then the comm tab. you need to enable line #s and checksums. i have done 3 more prints in the past 2 days without the checksums box checked and i have seen no stalling. the s3d enhancements and changes can only improve things but i think the real fix for the stalling was a windows update sometime in the past month.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey Jim,

I'm not sure I see the setting you are talking about...I've attached a screenshot...Maybe you meant Flow Control->Hardware Flow Control from the drop down?

I'll also check for updates on my Windows machine....If this print completes,however, I'll likely just pull the USB cable for long prints from now on. Waiting 24+ hours and it suddenly failing is not fun!
Attachments
2016-06-12_0818.png
Dialog

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Thats because your not running the latest s3d version. Check for updates button never works

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:57 pm

You were correct..I have 3.1.0 on my machine installed, but I pin the launcher to my taskbar and when you install an update they never really upgrade, but install it side-by-side...So my taskbar launcher was launching the old version...

So there is no way for me to know which was running when the print failed....but I guess that doesn't matter since the options were never selected!!

Anyway, my print is still running with the USB cable removed...I"m hoping it completes this time!

Thanks!