LCD Screen Firmware Issues

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
kevinjpara

LCD Screen Firmware Issues

Post by kevinjpara » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:34 pm

As you know MakerGear has no documentation on the LCD screens they sell other than the wiki page.
I followed instructions to a T but now when I run the Arduino IDE and try to upload the Firmware I keep getting this issue:
Sketch uses 129,994 bytes (50%) of program storage space. Maximum is 258,048 bytes.
Global variables use 4,919 bytes (60%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,273 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

processing.app.debug.RunnerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:129)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1672)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1578)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1550)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2399)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:113)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:127)
... 5 more

There's no information on how to trouble shoot or fix this.

Anyone with a solution?

Josh
Site Admin

Re: LCD Screen Firmware Issues

Post by Josh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:24 pm

When you were trying that, did you have any other host software running, and connected to the printer?

kevinjpara

Post by kevinjpara » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Simplify3D, but it was not actively printing.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:38 am

Yeah... if it's connected at all, then you can't flash the firmware because it has the USB serial port tied up. Make sure it's not running when you go to flash.

kevinjpara

Post by kevinjpara » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 pm

So I got the firmware installed now, but now I have a problem with the -Y endstop not functioning properly. When I force a manual -100 Y move and put my finger on the endstop it works fine and when I let it run all the way to the endstop it works fine, but the when I try to start a print from Simplify it moves back, catches on the -Y endstop and buzzes something terrible. Then it'll click a few times and go up a little bit on the Z axis but the print will start as if the bed is in place.
I have no idea how to fix.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:46 am

If you have a new machine, you should not have had to change the firmware. (There's supposed to be LCD support with the firmware already pre-loaded on the machine.)

But, if you were not aware than you had a Rev.E machine, you might not have realized that.

I don't know anything about the LCD screens, but you need to:

1. Determine which version of the machine you have before you do anything else.

The Beginner's Guide linked below has pictures on the first page showing how to determine which machine you have.

Beginner's Guide: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

2. Go and download Arduino version 1.5.5 beta if you don't already have it, and use ONLY that version of the software to load the correct firmware for your machine.

3. The correct firmware for the single extruder Rev.E is this one: M2E-Production-SnNRd-V100.zip It has LCD support.
http://makergear.wdfiles.com/local--fil ... d-V100.zip

You can try to download and flash the correct firmware (which might resolve your problem)......or if you do not have a Rev.E machine, start a Support ticket with MakerGear.

4. And if that is the firmware that you did load, and it is correct for your machine, you need to open a Support ticket to let them know the problems that you are having. Tell them the version of the machine that you have and tell them which firmware you currently have flashed so they can get it straightened out.

(They might not see it on the forum.)
Last edited by Jules on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:50 pm

kevinjpara wrote:So I got the firmware installed now, but now I have a problem with the -Y endstop not functioning properly. When I force a manual -100 Y move and put my finger on the endstop it works fine and when I let it run all the way to the endstop it works fine, but the when I try to start a print from Simplify it moves back, catches on the -Y endstop and buzzes something terrible. Then it'll click a few times and go up a little bit on the Z axis but the print will start as if the bed is in place.
I have no idea how to fix.
Although there are a variety of potential causes of that problem, it seems likely to me that you uploaded the incorrect firmware. I accidentally did this a couple weeks ago while trying to make some tweaks and saw similar behavior.

Like Jules said, figure out what revision of the machine you have. If you purchased it since March, it should be a new Rev. E machine. I would guess that uploading the correct firmware will fix your problem. What was your original goal in trying to upload the firmware?

kevinjpara

Post by kevinjpara » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Just wanted to get the LCD working. I got it Dec 2014 so I'll double check.
For now I just went back to the original firmware and all of my axes are back on track. Thanks for the suggestion!

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Sorry for the delay - glad to help! If you still aren't sure which version of the LCD firmware is correct shoot MakerGear an email - Josh straightened me out in 15 minutes flat. :)