Issues with the X-axis

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KaiborgStudios

Issues with the X-axis

Post by KaiborgStudios » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Hey guys!

Having some issues with the x-axis on my 3 month old M2. Whenever I'm printing perfectly left or right (x-axis only) over 60mm/s, I get a loud vibrating noise every time it passes through the middle third of the x rail. I also notice what appears to be rust on the back side of the rail? I just completely cleaned and re-lubricated with 3 in 1 oil.

Any suggestions?

insta

Re: Issues with the X-axis

Post by insta » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Sounds like you might be getting a free rail. Contact support.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 am

insta wrote:Sounds like you might be getting a free rail. Contact support.
Thanks, I'll shoot them an email!

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 am

Made a short video. The beginning shows the rust(?) on the back of the rail as well as the loud vibrating movements. The middle it goes quiet again as it does the Y-axis portions of the perimeter, then back to loud.
I should add I have dampeners on both the x and y steppers.

https://youtu.be/kVRZfwVJpyU

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm

This issues been plaguing me again. I've ignored it for almost a year, but it's steadily gotten to the point of keeping me up at night haha. Do I need to just replace the carriage every 6 months or so? Would it be worth the extra $75 to replace the rail as well? It only acts up around the center third of the rail.

Video of the noise, peaks around 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyyy5OtF7wc

Thanks!
Cameron

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Sun May 20, 2018 3:21 am

Been a few days, just giving this a bump!

insta

Post by insta » Sun May 20, 2018 4:20 pm

You can stop using that horrible lithium grease in the carriages. It's supposed to be a very thin machine oil. The lithium was for the old metal-on-metal Z axis.

Take the carriage off, clean it out with WD40 and alcohol until it's dry, then lubricate with 1 drop per side of sewing machine oil. Clean the rail in the same way.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 pm

insta wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:20 pm
You can stop using that horrible lithium grease in the carriages. It's supposed to be a very thin machine oil. The lithium was for the old metal-on-metal Z axis.

Take the carriage off, clean it out with WD40 and alcohol until it's dry, then lubricate with 1 drop per side of sewing machine oil. Clean the rail in the same way.
Will super Lube synthetic grease be ok to use? Doesn't attract dirt too much and is used to lubricates clock works.. Will switch to 3in1 if you think that is better. Asked support and they said should be ok.. but the guy talked to had to go ask someone else.. The wiki says to use 3in1 on the Z screw but still lists lithium for the slide..

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

insta wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks Insta, just going to go ahead and purchase a new rail and carriage and switch to oil.