Can't get Z End Stop Correct

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
derekcfi

Can't get Z End Stop Correct

Post by derekcfi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Greetings,

I've set my Z End Stop and leveled my bed about 50 times in the past two days. I have used every different method described on this forum (getting started,etc), on youtube, and the methods used by MakerGear. None of them are working. The filament just curls around the hot end and nothing attaches to the bed. I'm starting to get really frustrated.

Using:
M2 v3b
Simplify 3d
1.75mm PLA
215/70c temps on glass bed

I set Z-Stop ranges from 1 sheet of paper(unfolded) all the way up to and including .2mm using a feeler gauge. Everything was heated up. I tried it manually and using z-home to hold the bed up.

I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have read and re-read every beginner thread on this forum.

Please help!

jsc

Re: Can't get Z End Stop Correct

Post by jsc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:30 am

Have you run off a single wall cube calibration? That is really the best for helping get things dialed in.

I have two suggestions. 1) Get a glue stick, like Elmer's disappearing purple, and put down a layer of that on your bed. Or a spritz of hairspray, which many people like but I find a bit too messy. 2) Jules has written a getting started guide that really does a great job of encapsulating a lot of hard won knowledge in a step-by-step fashion. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:18 pm

I cant even get to a cal. I did try glue, no improvement.

Neep

Post by Neep » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:49 pm

If it's not sticking to the glass plate, then your options are:

- Sand the Kapton tape on the glass plate a bit with fine sandpaper to increase the roughness/make it easier to stick
- Use gluestick on the plate to help it adhere
- Puddle hairspray (Aquanet is preferable I believe) on the plate and let it dry before printing to increase adhesion
- Use a different plate material - I recommend Zebra plate - they last a fairly long time and stick very well (ABS is almost too well). The only time I've had a problem getting it to stick was when I was accidentally trying to print ABS with PLA settings :)

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Out of the box the unit printed fine. A year later I did a end stop cal and a bed leveling and 50 times later I cant print anything.

This has nothing to do witht he PLA not sticking to the bed because of the bed, it has to do with my Z end stop.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Hmmmn. Did you print the calibration squares to determine your correct Z-Offset?

There is a tutorial for it here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3124

One thing to be aware of - if you are wanting to move the bed closer to the nozzle, you have to input a negative Z-Offset adjustment. (So if you need to bring it in closer to even establish a print, add -0.1 to whatever your current Z-Offset is. That is half a normal layer - it should have you squishing the filament on the plate. Then, do the calibration print.

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I have previously, but I am unable to do that now since I changed my Z-end stop. The Z-end stop is the only change I made so I am not sure why I cannot print now.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm

When you reset your Z-Stop, did you clean the tip of the nozzle off first? A tiny bit of hardened plastic left on the tip will keep you from setting it correctly.

Did you pull up a chair, sit down in front of the machine and look at the tip of the nozzle when you set the Z-Stop? Trying to do it from above doesn't work. (Also helps to put a light source behind the nozzle so you can clearly see the gap.)

The correct sequence of steps is:

0. Buy a set of metal feeler gauges. (They're like six bucks at Amazon, and they are much more accurate than paper.)
https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Piece-Master ... +gauge+set

Remove the .006 inch (0.15 mm) gauge from the stack. Take it out and set it aside. You will also need a chair, a piece of masking tape, and a 7 mm wrench or needle nose pliers to loosen the nut.

1. Heat the nozzle, retract the filament completely, then clean any drips off of the tip with the tweezers as the nozzle cools. Remove the spool of filament from the spool holder and set it out of the way.
2. Sit down in front of the machine with the nozzle tip at eye level and check to see if the tip of the nozzle is perfectly clean/flat.
3. Remove the .006 inch (0.15 mm) gauge from the stack. Take it out and set it aside.
4. Loosen the nut on the Z-stop bolt. (Don't turn the bolt, just loosen the nut on top.)
5. Raise the bed slowly by hand (lifting underneath the Y-axis rail) until it is about half an inch from the tip of the nozzle.
6. Make sure the nozzle is centered in the plate, and slide the 0.15 mm gauge underneath the nozzle.
7. Heat the bed and nozzle to printing temps.
8. Sit down. Get at eye level with the nozzle tip again.
9. Turn the Z-knob to raise the plate until the tip of the nozzle touches the gauge.
10. Tape the Z-knob in place so that the bed doesn't move.
11. Reach underneath the bed and turn the Z-bolt with your fingers until the light on the switch just turns off/on. (It's very easy to see at eye level.)
12. Remove the tape, lower the bed, tighten the nut.

That's it. After that you perform the Z-Offset calibrations.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 am

it sounds like your gap is too big. run through jules steps. in addition to that, go into your s3d process settings and be sure you dont have a z offest applied in the gcode tab. all your offsets should be zero, your first layer height should be set to 100% and you extrusion width setting should be set to auto, atleast for doing this calibration.

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:11 pm

OK, I found the exact center of the plate and set the Z-end stop to .15MM. I then balanced the bed and was able to perform a successful cal to set the z-axis offset. I needed to make a 0.06mm adjustment. I re-caled and it was fine. The print appeared to be even, and then I tried to print one of my first projects. (see attached image)

For now I am going to try and re balance the bed then re-print. Any other suggestions?
Attachments
20160709_095809.jpg